Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Church of St James in the village of Swarkestone, Derbyshire.

Swarkestone

in the county of Derbyshire

Cottages in Ross-on-Wye

Ross-on-Wye

in the county of Herefordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Will you miss Jessops?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:24 on 24th January 2013

Yes I heard that from my mate earlier today but we cannot really see the connection with HMV other than DIGITAL ! !  And what are the chances of HMV being next after all a lot of what they do can all be bought over the internet

My boss reckons that shops as we know them could be in the extreme minority within a few years. They will become internet pick up points and lets face it you can 'call and reserve' at all the big stores already so he may not be too far from the truth. A very sad state of affairs indeed.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:49 on 24th January 2013

I think you are right in your predictions, Dave. 

I prefer to be able to visit a shop and physically look at the goods before purchase. However, with shop ticket prices often being up to 25% or more higher than on the internet, I cannot justify throwing away what little spare cash I have. I am therefore one of the many who have contributed to the downfall of Jessops. Similarly, the price of CDs at HMV (even with their 25% sale) is still much higher than on the internet.

I think as I said somewhere else, I can see our high streets soon being made up mainly of  Betting Shops, Dodgy Phone Shops, Pound Shops, Charity Shops, Fast Food Outlets, Pay-day Loan Shops  etc. It is significant that of the major stores, the cut-price outlets such as Primark are seeing off the high-street dinosaurs such as Marks & Spencer. Unfortunately for us photographers, there is no photo equivalent of Primark. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:04 on 24th January 2013

A very sad state indeed. As I said previously there is now only one 'proper' photographic shop in Hull, but the don't stock cameras. They only buy them in if someone wnats one. Apparently they cannot afford to order them just to sit on shelves.....and then they sell at way above the prices that the likes of Park Cameras, WEX and Wilkinsons can sellthe same item for.....

My mate who was the manager of the local Jacobs until they went last year told me that they lost on most SLR camera bodies that they sold, for instance Canon 550D with basic 18-55 they lost £15. They relied on people buying an additional lens, a coupe of SD cards and maybe a bag and flashgun.....say no more.....

But as you say Edward unfortunately we do not have a 'cheap' alternative in this hobby

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:04 on 26th January 2013
On 24th January 2013 23:04, Dave John wrote:

A very sad state indeed. As I said previously there is now only one 'proper' photographic shop in Hull, but the don't stock cameras. They only buy them in if someone wnats one. Apparently they cannot afford to order them just to sit on shelves.....and then they sell at way above the prices that the likes of Park Cameras, WEX and Wilkinsons can sell the same item for.....

I must be lucky in my area; I very recently bought a Canon 5D MK II at my local independant photo store--- the price matched one of the major retailers Dave mentioned above and £50 less than another of the above mentioned they're currently advertising it for. Also,they were £326 ( plus carriage) less than a major online retailer I see some ex-Jessops staff are blaming their downfall on. 
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:08 on 26th January 2013
That is a phenominal reductioon Paul, but of course the MKII has been superceded by the last MKIII and consequently MKII prices are coming down but I have to say I have been looking but not seen anything with that margin of reduction. Wel done you sir....
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:44 on 26th January 2013

An odd situation with the 5D MK 2 existed for a time about 2 years ago when it was cheaper in England than it was in the US. Anyone in the US who wanted one could have had a cheap holiday to come here with the savings made buying it here. If they were able to claim the VAT back being for export ( not sure if they could have?), that would have reduced the price 13.2% more.

I wonder if any Americans had spotted this odd anomoly that had ocurred with Canon's pricing for a few months with this camera?

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:47 on 26th January 2013
I would imagine it is very similar to here....if they can get away with saying, and no doubt having to prove, it is for business they might crack it.....
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:04 on 7th February 2013

Morrisons are apparently bidding for some of the Jessops shop locations, presumably to turn them into mini-supermarkets. Knowing Morrisons recent poor performance, will these shops do any better than Jessops did?

Morrisons buys clutch of Jessops Shops 

Please login to post to this thread...