Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Camber Sands, East Sussex

Camber

a Seaside Town in the county of East Sussex

A picture of Totton

Totton

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Will you miss Jessops?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:18 on 9th January 2013
No doubt we have all seen the news that Jessops is in administration. It seems unlikely that many (or maybe no) shops will survive. I have mixed feelings about Jessops. - fond memories of the old shops of 20 or 30 years ago, not so fond memories of poor service and uncompetitive prices in recent times. Due to poor service, I gave up on Jessops some years ago, changing my allegiance to London Camera Exchange. Anyone else have an opinion on the demise of Jessops? 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:20 on 10th January 2013

We have a local Jessops here but the last time I bought anything there was in 2004 for a Nikon D70---as no one else had one and they had a display one. Basically, their stock levels seem to be of things I never want.

I've always used my local independent store since 1990-something, T4 Cameras, who've always been very good to me, fairly priced, and know what they're talking about when asking their advice on something. Apart from that odd D70 ( when I've since found Nikon can't supply new Dslr's and lenses for ages after they bring them out) all my Nikon, and Canon stuff has been bought in their shop.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:10th January 2013 02:02
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:14 on 10th January 2013

Not Really ! ! !  The local shop to me never held much stock, even once tried ordering a couple of small items on line to collect and relpy was 'not in stock app 5 days' this also applies to larger items lenses, bodies etc. The staff were always second rate and so lacking in knowledge that they had to have a conference if asked a queston......Haven't been in the shop for quite a few years.

Agree with you Edward about the shops several years ago, they did have good staff and usually carried good stock, bur a change in then they started to not look after the staff. I subsequently moved to Jacobs, when Jessops got rid of my mate, he won an unfair dismissal case. He was with Jacobs about 15 years until they went under........

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:11 on 10th January 2013

Buying online has changed the way we shop, and the fact is we can get most products cheaper that way so why go to the retail outlet in the crowded Cities (what are they buying) anyway?

Hassle with parking, bus fares, getting to the stores generally.

Seems we could have more houses being built in the Cities soon!

As for missing Jessops the simple answer is no!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 09:33 on 10th January 2013

That's right Ron. My mate when he was at Jacobs had been predicting the end for them for some time before they finally bit the bullet. The shops are pretty much superfluous now. Vast majority of people go into shops now to look at, and handle, what they want and then go away and buy on line. Even if they do buy in the shop they get the camera, a rechargable battery and a memory card, which is effectively rechargeable as you dwonload pics to a PC and then reformat the card and reuse it. So basically there is no reason to go back to the shop after making the initial purchase. Another problem they used to get was people buying on line then going into them for help and assistnace. In the end they started asking people for the original receipt to prove purchase from the shop.

Internet is great, I use it myself, but it is not very good for the High Street

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:50 on 10th January 2013
The final straw for me was the attitude of the manager in the local Jessops. They had some cut-price items in a sale bucket. Lens caps, filters, low value items.  I went to pay for the items I had chosen, only to be told they had been priced up incorrectly, and he refused to sell them to me. He was technically correct in law, but from that point onwards, I stopped going in to Jessops and told all my local camera-buddies about the experience, and they stopped going in too, except to window-shop and wind up the manager.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 10:12 on 10th January 2013

Yes, Edward, the shop in Hull had a reputation for poor staff and genral lack of knowledge. 20 years ago that was not the case but they have certainly deteriorated and quite rapidly over the the last 1o years or so.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:47 on 10th January 2013
Yes, Dave, that seems to be the general view of Jessops. Could it be something connected with the decline of film and the rise of digital? In the old days, the staff at Jessops seemed to be of higher calibre and were knowledgeable about developing and dark-room work. Not so these days. Maybe its a case of paying peanuts and getting monkeys.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 11:16 on 10th January 2013
That is certainly the case with the muppets in Hull. So only one 'proper' camera shop in Hull now and that is a sole business that has been going for as long as i can imagine. Not necessarily the cheapest but do have good staff. They also sell online so who knows what might happen there???  Could be tied in with some bigger concern for the online stuff I don't know.....
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:01 on 10th January 2013
Dave, if its a good shop then its worth supporting. At least they should allow you to handle the cameras and lenses before buying. I have been impressed by the staff in the Reading branch of London Camera Exchange. As far as I know, there are now only two 'proper' Camera dealers in Reading, LCE and Station Cameras. The staff at LCE are very knowledgeable and fair in their assessment of second-hand camera gear, both as sellers and buyers, and I have no hesitation in recommending them. Unfortunately, there isn't a branch of LCE in Hull, and there are only 28 LCE shops in total. If you have a good local camera dealer, they are worth supporting.