Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The old Co-operative Society buildings at Ripley, Derbyshire.

Ripley

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Yippee! Now you can sell your photo's on POE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:37 on 22nd January 2014

I always leave my uploading for a couple days after editing, cropping etc and have another look before uploading, again this is a good way to spot things that can be improved, and occassionally end up having another go at some images. Also after downloading from card to PC will quite often leave them for a week or so in order to view with a clear mind. I have heard of the mirror tip but never tried it yet, maybe give it a whirl some time.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:05 on 22nd January 2014
On 22nd January 2014 00:39, Rod Burkey wrote:

.....Another good tip us to look at a picture using a mirror. This really does concentrate the eye.....................

Cheers from a Grumpy Old Scouser.  

Your mirror technique sounds interesting, Rod,  and I will  give it a try.

As for composition, the 'Rule of Thirds' generally suits me, even though it can be a bit formulaic. Composition is a tricky topic...some outstanding shots work by breaking the 'Rules'.  

BTW Rod, you wouldn't be a true Scouser if you didn't have a grumpy sense of humour.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:51 on 22nd January 2014

Cheers Edward, trouble is the older I get the grumpier I become. But there is a whole lot in life that makes me laugh, sometimes when I really shouldn't.

The Rule of Thirds is a solid rule, but like most, worth breaking the odd time as you say.

Blue skies here today, so I must get out with the Nikon. There is some rather striking graffiti by the gates of Strawberry Field just over the hill from here..... 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:34 on 22nd January 2014
On 22nd January 2014 13:51, Rod Burkey wrote:

...Blue skies here today, so I must get out with the Nikon. There is some rather striking graffiti by the gates of Strawberry Field just over the hill from here..... 

No subject should be ignored by the imaginative photographer. I trust the graffiti are of a standard which you would expect from the European Capital of Culture (2008). No blue skies here, the Canon didn't go out today.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:35 on 22nd January 2014
John, if you're not happy with why not delete it, edit it and when you're happy upload it again. As for old photos, remember last year when Robert posted all those pictures from the early 70's, the ones where we helped him identify the locations because he'd forgotten, most of them were really good, interesting to see how places have changed.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:06 on 22nd January 2014
Don't let age of images stop you John, if you think they of interesting give them a whirl
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:09 on 22nd January 2014
I can always put my comment back John Smile
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:13 on 22nd January 2014
Dont worry about it John--i am sure there are a lot more inferior pictures than yours.Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:18 on 22nd January 2014
Don't be hasty John, which picture was it? cos as James says there will be far worse around. I have to say that a lot of the images we have inindated with recently leave an awful lot to be desired in my book. Poor composition, horizons not level, very flat images with no contrast, multi images of more or less the same view ... I could go on. 
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:39 on 22nd January 2014
Just placed a comment on the new one John. Because of the narrative it is the sort of image that could sell