Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

14th Century Pack Horse Bridge

Clun

in the county of Shropshire

Park Street and the Wills Tower

Bristol

a Historic City in the county of Somerset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Political Correctness

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:57 on 11th May 2014

I have just seen the following story on the BBC regarding a DJ resigning over playing a 1932 recording of  'The Sun Has Got His Hat On' which the DJ did not realise contained the 'n-word'.

Link to BBC Radio Devon

Do we rewrite history, rather like Orwell's  'Ministry of Truth' where all politically incorrect utterances of the past are erased ? I can think of many old films and recordings where things were said or shown which are now not acceptable, but this does not mean they should never be played.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 11:15 on 11th May 2014

Not heard the story yet but will have a look.

I think the principle of Political Correctness is very much akin to Health and Safety in that both have been taken far more seriously than I expect was ever imagined at the onset of each.

It would be a crying shame if anyone did cotton on to the many films and recordings you refer to Edward.

You will probably find that 99% of the audience listening to this show did not even realise the 'word' was there!!!! An probably 99% of that 99% couldn't care less anyway. 

In my view a storm in a teacup that should never havebeen allowed to escalate to this level

Edited by: Dave John at:11th May 2014 11:21
Mark Stace
Mark Stace
quotePosted at 15:28 on 11th May 2014
It's all gone too far. I have heard black people use the N word directed at each other in public and on TV. If it is not acceptable to use this word how come they do and it is fine. or are those individuals rubbing our UK over the top political noses in it?
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:06 on 11th May 2014
It all sounds so crazy to me--as Mark says they call it themselves.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:23 on 11th May 2014

So there'll be no screening on TV of the original 1955 film The Dam Busters then either.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:27 on 11th May 2014
Yes Ruth that crossed my mind earlier. Guy Gibson's dog and one of the code words for the state of the dams after each attack
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:36 on 11th May 2014
My mother used to buy wool in a certain shade of brown and I loved my old Golly. Shame on us all. By all accounts the guy had no idea about the now offensive word in the second verse of the song. We truly have gone far too far now.  Glad I 'm retired now. I would be sacked for sure! Let's be more aware of the spirit of things rather than looking at words and actions out of context. 
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:38 on 11th May 2014

I still have my old Golly he's about 2 feet tall, dressed in a nice suit and he's in what used to be my room at my mums house. He'll be 50 this year.

Edited to add, yes I'd be sacked too Rod without a doubt. 

Edited by: rustyruth at:11th May 2014 19:56
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 18:42 on 11th May 2014

With regard to the DJ's resignation, this was instigated by one complaint to the BBC.

Knowing black people as I do, I think it is highly unlikely that the complainant was black, though in all probability he or she is a reader of the 'Guardian' .

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 11:40 on 13th May 2014
My mother who's 85 still calls it that John, I'm forever having to shush her up in public.