Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Colemere near Ellesmere in Shropshire, UK.

Colemere

in the county of Shropshire

St Marys Church, Baldock, Hertfordshire

Baldock

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Political Correctness

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:35 on 16th May 2014
We had lots more fun Dave, there were loads more funny jokes as well. David still does the mother in law jokes with my mum and she doesn't mind bit. She even saw the funny side when he bought her a broomstick one birthday Smile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:52 on 16th May 2014

Political correctness seems to be a very recent phenomenon, which is why older people often fall foul of the Stasi-like brigade of shrill protesters. I can't put an exact date on when the rot set in, but I think probably in the 1980's with the rise of the 'Loony Left'

Oh dear should I have said 'Loony' ?

Words that had been in normal English usage for hundreds of years suddenly acquired a pejorative meaning and became verboten overnight. Even the disability charities changed their names to something totally unrecognisable which left many people without a clue as to what disability they represented. All very sad and confusing.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:16th May 2014 21:54
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:57 on 16th May 2014
On 16th May 2014 21:52, Edward Lever wrote:

Political correctness seems to be a very recent phenomenon, which is why older people often fall foul of the Stasi-like brigade of shrill protesters. I can't put an exact date on when the rot set in, but I think probably in the 1980's with the rise of the 'Loony Left'

Oh dear should I have said 'Loony' ?

Words that had been in normal English usage for hundreds of years suddenly acquired a pejorative meaning and became verboten overnight. Even the disability charities changed their names to something totally unrecognisable which left many people without a clue as to what disability they represented. All very sad and confusing.

And we are all becoming very confused to say the least ! !!  And as to sad I think would fit well in the TV series that was ' Grumpy Old Men '
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:52 on 17th May 2014

I get weary of the shrill self-righteousness of the PC brigade as PC notions permeate daily life. I was lectured by a young check-out girl at the supermarket yesterday for having the temerity to ask for some carrier bags. "We'll soon be charging for bags, they're not environmentally friendly" she said. "You'd better bring your own bags in future".

I pointed out that I use bags to wrap up my kitchen waste, and if the supermarket bags weren't free, I would have to buy bags anyway. I asked "Maybe the supermarket could supply me with strong paper bags instead, so they are environmentally friendly ?"

She wasn't impressed. I wasn't impressed either. Both W.H. Smith and Marks & Spencer charge for bags now. I only shop at those dreary establishments as a last resort. 

Please login to post to this thread...