Poole

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

At Sundown on The Thames

East Molesey

in the county of Surrey

Band

Cardiff

in the county of Glamorgan

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Should we have the 'Right' to be forgotten?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 06:34 on 14th May 2014

I think this is the best thing that has come out of Europe ever, because it causes trouble for many!

Not that I have any reason to hide anything, I think I am careful, but most will know that if you write something on your PC and submit to a search engine such as Google and others, it will (until now) remain on the internet for ever!

However, Google and other search engines have now been told to provide the User with an opportunity to delete the information, therefore be 'forgotten'.

What say you members, good or bad?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 11:36 on 14th May 2014

I agree Ron, the case of the Spanish man who Googled his own name and it brought up details of his house repossession years ago is of no interest to anyone, not even the man in question after alll these years.

There is a lot of stuff out there that is totally irrelevant that comes up when you're searching for something else, apart from anything else it's just a nuisance. 

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:35 on 14th May 2014

If I put my own name into a search, engine all sorts of stuff comes up, including things about people with the same name as me. Mostly it's my pictures that have been used by all manner of people, which used to slightly annoy me, but now I just acceprt that if I submit a picture to any site it is possible hat somebody will lift it and use it.

I accept also that anything I submit in writing online will be there for all to see and most of it would cause drooping eyelids to the reader. I have little to hide from anyone as I just don't like secrecy. It's just too hard to remember what I've said or not said to whom and when etc etc.

As Ruth says it can be a nuisance but I can live with it.   

I have used search engines to find old colleagues and friends and it is amazing just how much "stuff" there is "out in the ether".      

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:41 on 14th May 2014
I typed my cousins name in to Google last year and got his telephone number straight away -i had not seen him for over 40yrs and was very concerned as to how i got the number as he lives in Wiltshire-we had a good chat and continued to keep in touch by e-mail--now that is one of the good things to come out of it but i bet there are more bad things.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 20:29 on 14th May 2014

I don' t think anything should be put on the internet that can not be responded to by the person or issue in question...as an historian I say that..because so much information changes...and like Rosalie....with her comments about me...I had no way to defend my postion to include further thinking of why I said something in particular....as an past supervisor I always gave anyone I had issues with an right to tell things from thier perspective...I was taught that at college in my classes in business and supervisory in handling people.

In this case if was about an Great Grandmother whom died shortly after giving birth some months later on...and her child died also at birth.  But it was someone else had determined that she passed away from "consumption" or what we call "Tuberculousis"...I never said she didn't have that issue also..but I felt there was an strong case on the issue of bearing children in the family...her grandaughter would also died like she did...and it happened again couple generations later on, and it's been going on for longer then has been known and I think it is something that is an family problem. True, we have had some of the females also die of "TB" back when it was the epidemic of it's time...but I'm trying to point out an possibly of something else that may exist...could it be an sideline case of genes of an diabetic in the making? That alone could weaken an person's immune system. Anyway I classified in her writing as that "someone other" that disagrees....with the popular concept known...and have no way to point the numerous other cases in the family of women dying shortly after giving birth in the olden days. At least as far back as my mother's cousin's daughter to the mid-1800's.   

I believe that people affected by an picture posted should have the right to have it removed also..and what ever offends someone is done discreetly... by simply blanking that part of the picture out of it.

I refer to this person all over the net site I go to in saying that Mt.Hood was erupting....when it was smoke coming up from an forrest fire south of it...I went to get an picture of this...to have by no thought, snapped an picture with some kids in it, whom I didn't know and it was not an close up one either as I was taking an picture of Mt. Hood..not these kids...whose grandfather happend to be an ex retired policeman...who took my car's liscense down, and turned me into an buddy..who tracked me down, and out came the police to conviscate the film or my camera...before I even got home from down the end of the road..two blocks away. My grandaughter got told to tell me not to post the picture with these kids in it...so I never did, but It didn't stop the gal from telling everyone that Mt. Hood was erupting exactly either...creating panic.  She lived north of Mt.Hood and could not see the forrest fire coming up from the South and the drifting smoke also...I could not prove my point either..because of two kids I don' teven know...but I understand his senistivity to not wanting the kids filmed in ways. I just never thought about them in taking the picture in the distance of Mt. Hood above them. Problem solved if I could of wiped them off the picture.

I feel that anything on the net...should be able to be taken off the net also....but people's rights not discrimated against in the process. If that makes any sense.   

Please login to post to this thread...