'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Harting

South Harting

in the county of West Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Speeding fines to be raised to TEN THOUSAND POUNDS!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:37 on 10th June 2014

This government has really shown how b....y stupid they are now, by suggesting (according to the television news a few minutes ago) that we could afford to pay £10,000 for a speeding fine! It would put the average driver off the road immediately and probably break up any marriage, or home and be likely to cause more to jump from the white cliffs than ever before. What is the matter with these b....y stupid people?

Tell me it's April 1st somebody please, tell me it's a joke, but in any case it's another good reason for the public to look at this government and say enough is enough!

Cameron and his crew just HAVE TO GO!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:59 on 10th June 2014
I thought you'd made a typo with £10.000 Ron and thought you meant £1000, that was until I read this for myself before replying to your post. How ridiculous, they can't even get most people to cough up whatever it is at the moment, however do they think the everyday person could find that sort of money. OK it is an offence, but it's one law I'm sure we're all guilty of breaking at some point, it's just a matter of whether or not you get caught.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:25 on 10th June 2014

Apparently there is a whole raft on new charges, so who says that crime doesn't pay...................for the government? B....y ridiculous, scandalous, they need a good kick up the a...e and told to sort their silly policies out.

Like you say Ruth they struggle to collect the fines now, so what chance if these increases get the nod?

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:34 on 10th June 2014

I've just watched the BBC news Ron, I had no idea what some of these fines were set at already. There's something wrong when you can get fined up to £10.000 for speeding on a motorway when someone can walk out of court, having been found guilty of theft or burglary with a 12 month conditional discharge, or a community service order. 

Community service orders for burglars has always puzzled me, what a great opportunity for them to go round looking for their next property to enter. It has happened, I know. 

Edited by: rustyruth at:10th June 2014 18:35
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 23:05 on 10th June 2014

It`s a fine line that prevents law and order breaking down and politicians should take heed of public opinion.

Fair and reasonable laws will protect the public but try to enforce unreasonable law on the British public then watch out you half baked politicians you are in for a bashing. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:37 on 11th June 2014

Exactly Neil and who will is waiting in the wings.....UKIP!

I think the thought of having to pay such horrendous fines will actually frighten some people into making mistakes on the road for fear of prosecution and as per usual it's the easy target that gets it, whereas hardened criminals who don't care about law and order will commit the act regardless and then always plead not guilty, just playing the system.

Cameron and co need to rethink this, or as you suggest Neil pay the price themselves.

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 11:48 on 11th June 2014
I think the British public are fed up to the back teeth with the never ending fiddling situation that s going on, and the smooth talking fire proof brigade keep telling us what is good for everyone.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:43 on 12th June 2014

This all reinforces the theory that speed cameras are more about raising money than improving road safety. County authorities have to release data on all fixed cameras, and from what I have seen, there is no clear evidence that accidents are reduced, in fact at some locations, accidents have increased after a camera has been installed. 

Camera vans are another menace. A few years ago, I was caught by a camera van sneakily hidden by the hedge of a rural road, at the point  where the speed limit changed from 30 to 40. To avoid a court appearance, I accepted the 3 penalty points and £60 fine. To this day, I am not sure whether I was actually speeding, but I did not want to risk a greater fine by going to court.  Now that the proposed penalties in court are even higher, most people will pay the fixed penalty, even though they may not think they are guilty.

I am paranoid about getting more penalty points, and now spend more time looking out for speed cameras than other road hazards. Not to mention the stress of being tail-gated by other drivers who resent me observing the speed limit. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:59 on 12th June 2014

More or less the point I was making above Edward and yes I also understand and have been subject to the 'hurry up' factor by those who will always be in a hurry. You wouldn't want to know what I think in such a situation.

Well I guess what I mean is that I can't write it here, but I stand my ground and will not be pushed into a potentially dangerous position. I ignore them completely and don't even glance in the mirror, providing that is that I am within the relevant speed limit! A get on with it situation meaning you hit me up the rear, your problem!!

I think John has a workable idea, that being take away their licence for a week or two and see how that slows them up next time they get behind the wheel. To add to that put a broom in their hand and order them to sweep their own street/road and/or collect litter and animal waste for a few hours each day, embarrass them basically.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:22 on 12th June 2014

Yes Ron, I think tail-gating is becoming more common these days as some people are so wound-up they are oblivious to speed limits and road safety (often these same people are also to be seen talking on their mobile phone, which is a much greater risk in my opinion than speeding).

Any sensible person who has received penalty points will not want to receive more, so the system already has a deterrent effect. Having more than 3 points will significantly increase insurance premiums, and 12 points and you're disqualified. This is already a good deterrent, hence my point about money-making.

Please login to post to this thread...