Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Netley Abbey. Hampshire

Netley

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Extremism in Schools

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:45 on 10th June 2014

You are entitled to support your own faith in my view, but if you come to the UK to live and go to a UK school for an education as many kids have done rather than face problems in their own country (where schools sometimes don't even exist) surely you need to fit in with the way of life that we offer don't you?

Those who say we want it our way (after they have arrived in a country that has welcomed them) need to either accept what we offer, or find an alternative place to live in my opinion. What say you members? 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:30 on 10th June 2014

Over the centuries, many other races and cultures have contributed positively to British society, without suppressing their cultural identity. However, this has required mutual respect,  a desire to integrate and not to act as 'the tail that wags the dog'. 

Extreme religious views of any kind do not fit easily into modern Britain. Religion and tolerance do not sit happily together, and I think a school will prepare children for the future far better if religion is taught as knowledge rather than as faith. Those parents with strong religious views may wish to pursue their faith for their family outside of the state education system, provided of course this is not oppressive and at odds with the law. 

The danger I see is that the idealised vision of a multicultural Britain seems to be fragmenting into a lumpy segregation rather than a well-blended whole.  

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:46 on 10th June 2014

I absolutely agree with you Ron. 

Your last paragraph Edward is sadly very true, something is broken and needs fixing, but that's never going to happen if a certain element in society insist on holding these extreme religious views.

Please login to post to this thread...