'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Crich Tower, Crich, Derbyshire

Crich

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

So what was Iraq all about?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:11 on 12th June 2014

Parts of Iraq have been overun by insurgents again who want a single Islamic State so what will happen now Mr Blair? Good job you are not still the PM or we might be on our way back!

Our soldiers gave their lives for what, the misery you inflicted at home and abroad hasn't resolved anything at all so where now? I suppose you are okay are you Mr Blair with your £millions and no worries?

What is the answer POEsters, what do you think?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:37 on 12th June 2014

A company I once worked for, many years ago, had an office in Baghdad (when Saddam Hussein was in power). I never visited myself, but was told that Baghdad was a clean city with excellent hotels and restaurants, good sanitation, reliable electricity and water supplies. Much better in fact than comparable middle eastern cities such as Cairo.

As in many Arab states, it was unwise to discuss politics, because of the many 'spooks' who would  follow foreigners everywhere . But this is the norm in such countries, and any mention of Saddam was unwise. (He was usually referred to as 'Keith' in conversation).

Iraq at that time had the best education system in the Arab world. Saddam Hussein was a dictator for sure, and was guilty of torturing his opponents, but the majority of Iraqis enjoyed a better life than now. There was also no extremism of the sort we see now.

The mistake of the west in destroying Iraq was the error of imposing our form of democracy on a totally different culture.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 13:14 on 12th June 2014
Well said Edward, I've never been to Iraq, but as you say things were certainly a lot better than they are now. It may just be that some countries function better with a dictator in charge. It may not be how we like things, but then it's not our country, we should keep out.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 13:33 on 12th June 2014
Expect a huge increase in oil oncr they really take over --then our friends will be invading again,lets see if Cameron follows suit.Frown
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:51 on 12th June 2014
How very true, James, there is a feeling of deja vu about all this. And the terrible cost of Tony Blair's duplicity is still being borne by the innocent.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 17:56 on 13th June 2014
Nor will he ever Edward.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 01:01 on 17th June 2014

Now the old fraud says it wasn't anything to do with him

Telegraph Cartoon Monday 16th June 2014 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 04:04 on 21st June 2014

I said this before when "Bush" was involved over there....these people have nothing to do but live in an desolate place..which I generally call an "sand pile" for the most part...they have been thousands of years killing each other...not to much of the glamourous "Arabian Nights" story to it... is there. Yes, we are as "American" getting tired of sending our son's over to die for people don't give an hoot about us. Let them fight for thier own democracy. You never saw them picking on Putin when he was there, like they talk about us being there.  It reminds me of the LA riots...black people burned down there own housing and then said.. we have no place to live...now you go and get us someplace to live..never thinking we started out with nothing more or less also.. I guess some people are not educated enough to understand that they have an certain obligation to be responsible in their own life about how they live. So if they want to go around killing an shooting and destroying...that's what they get to wake up with the next day and the day after that...until THEY change. 

People over here have less money then they ever have, thanks to all the insurgents of the drug cartel coming up from an country that all it's people have "left" for the most part....their own countrymen leave them nothing to stay for in the name of prosperity. We are tired of our young men dying for people that don' t care if they did. Your not here when the young children cry for their father to come home...a woman has taken up asking for the dead solider's uniform... to make teddy bears out of them in fatigues with name tags and such...for kids to hold...love.. to remember their daddy. I know we will never get any sympathy from those that have trying times in thier country...but I for once I'd like to say...I agree...this is not our problem...it is YOUR problem..what are YOU going to do about it beside looking irresponsible and as cold hearted gun toting killers/thevies. You say you want the country like you want it...what about other people saying the same thing...you don't have an country until you can unite it together for the common cause of all..and your biased discriminating religious views, whatever they are, I don' t think will ever allow that...reguardless by which name you call yourselves. Leave us alone...let's SEE what YOU can achieve beside common death for all involved....higher oil prices and disrespect in general for the efforts of others. Another war to keep the rich, that never fight in them, wealthy?..... Not the solution.

Keep at it...maybe another thousand or so years you'll begin to understand that an country can do things at the table talking and going out, rolling up the sleeves and working hard to obtain those things you deem important to have....without the death march. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 06:48 on 22nd June 2014

It is scary to come across religious fundamentalists of any persuasion. But when such people want to kill you in the name of their God it is doubly scary.

It is impossible to reason with someone whose concept of God is a God of war and hatred. If it is important for someone to believe in a God, then why not believe in a God of kindness and try to help in healing this fractured world ?  

Please login to post to this thread...