Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Cromer beach from the car park.

Cromer

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

River next to the Mill

Breamore

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Zero Hour Contracts

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:01 on 30th April 2015

Simple question, right or wrong in your opinion?

I know several people who are tearing their hair out because they don't get regular hours. Further they called in at a moments notice and are expected to go ....or else!

I say zero hours contracts are wrong and don't do anything for the economy of the Country.

Your opinion...

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:01 on 30th April 2015

Or else what, Ron? Not offer them any work? Fine, they aren't obliged to just as the person they're calling in isn't obliged to come in. 

but, I suspect some employers think it's a great idea--- get rid of your obligations to employees by zero hour contracts, then treat them as though they still are employees, and a few have come unstuck doing that. So, they can't sack them or discipline them so the only "or else" can be we won't call you again.

so, an employer might think it's a great idea-- no sick pay,no redundancy pay, etc.--then expect someone to jump as soon as they call them? I'd call that being an employee but might apply to a worker if it's in their contract as it should be, so everyone is clear about this.

I think they should be scrapped to stop the type of employer who is using zero hour contracts to increase the profits of their company. Is it no surprise how many people are now working in this fashion. By the end of 2014, about 700,000 people.

might get a bit messy several years down the line.  

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:1st May 2015 10:00
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:39 on 1st May 2015

Hi Paul and thanks for your response.

Yes, the 'or else' refers to no work, or even firing them, which as you suggest is the prerogative of both the employer and the employee, but what a disgraceful way to operate a business.

Frankly, if it were me employing staff today (as we have done in the past) my conscience wouldn't allow me to do it and I agree with you that it is storing up problems for the future, without even any kind of protection today.

I also think zero hours contracts should be scrapped and if everybody that were offered them refused the employment it would soon get sorted out, but of course there will always be someone and probably a visitor to the Country who would take the work at any cost so how can you win? Maybe it wouldn't get sorted out quickly after all.

Zero hours contracts are bad for everybody in my opinion, despite providing a minimal wage for many.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:18 on 1st May 2015
I agree that an enforced zero hours contract can be unfair, but for some work (such as consultancy) it is the only way the work can be managed. There are also many part-time workers such as students doing bar work who are perfectly happy with zero hour contracts. Not all zero hour contracts are low-paid, and if mutually agreeable between the two parties, are perfectly acceptable.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 10:42 on 1st May 2015

I've amended my post above for more accuracy and so,things depend on the terms of the zero hour contract, and there's no such thing in law as a zero hour contract.

disregarding self- employed people in this instance, people who work are either classed as an employee or a worker. When working under this type of contract, it is imperative you understand what you're being classed as. But, if your classed as a worker but in practice, you're being treated like an employee, ( and some firms have done this), then the law will take precedence over the contract, that you are really an employee with the rights and benefits associated with that status.

how the work is offered should be in the contract as well as the person being obligated to accept it or not. Telling someone they have to come in or else suggests bully boy tactics to alter a contract that says they can decline work offered.

Theyre entitled to holidays accrued, or money in lieu, to can be difficult to work out either. They may find it difficult to qualify for statutory sick pay.

Seems a messy contract, though some might find it useful if they want to work part time and if offered to pick and choose when.

with the rise in these contracts, it must be because it's to the advantage of the employer to use them, partly, or mainly. So someone thinking of working a zero hour contract needs to fully understand what it says and what they're being classed as.

they might be useful for some people, but not very good for others depending on their circumstances. Interesting to note the sort of companies or industries that have shown they're  keen to use them, especially if it's their main form of employing people. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:49 on 1st May 2015

Edward there are bound to be the exceptions in all trades I accept that, but like you I think Zero Hour Contracts are unfair.

Students as you say are often 'part time' so can we really ask them for an opinion? They after all are only looking to survive to fund their tuition, which takes us in a different direction re funding, a pretty warm topic just now.

I suspect that those with families to support will be thinking that they are being ripped off and dictated to, but are obliged to accept it rather than have nothing at all.

Consultants in all trades are probably used to the irregular hours, I've had some of that myself over the years and think it's probably fair to say that they accept it as a way of life, but where the rate being paid or charged is considerably higher. 

Anyway, thanks for responding Edward.

Please login to post to this thread...