Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Minterne House and Gardens

Minterne Magna

in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

ActionFraud Highlight Scam - Be Aware!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:05 on 10th July 2015

It seems the latest scam email doing the rounds is one called 'TorrentLocker' where the attached document or link leads to the TorrentLocker ransomware.

Malware encrypts files on the victim’s system and requests a ransom be paid in order for the files to be decrypted; one reported amount has been £330 worth of Bitcoins.

If you receive an email that you are suspicious of do not follow any links or open attachments until you can verify that the email is genuine. To do this contact the organisation that the email has come from by sourcing the number independently from the email received.

If you believe the email to be fake, report it to your email provider as spam.

Ensure your anti-virus software is up to date this will help to mitigate the potential for virus to be downloaded. It should be noted that anti-virus software is constantly being updated and may not stop all viruses especially if they are new or been adapted.  It has been reported that some anti-virus vendors are detecting this and stopping the pages and or documents from being opened.

If you have opened an attachment or followed a link which you believe to be suspicious it is recommended that you run your anti-virus and/or take your machine to a reputable company to have it cleaned.

In cases where files have been encrypted it can be very difficult to retrieve them, and in most cases they will be lost. It is recommended that you always back up all files on a separate device or cloud storage to ensure they are not lost. Please remember that if a device is attached to the infected machine the files on this could also be encrypted with the virus so ensure they are kept separate.

Taken from the ActionFraud message via Thames Valley Police....Protect Yourself, Be Alert!

Edited by: Ron Brind at:10th July 2015 17:05
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:24 on 10th July 2015
Thanks for the warning Ron --asit is i never open any spam e-mails they are deleted immediately.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:14 on 22nd October 2015

Another email scam that was sent to me recently appears to come from Lancashire Police. Be warned do not open the attachment, delete and then run anti-virus check.

I reported the scam email to Lancashire Police and got the following reply:

Hi Ron

This is an email virus. Lancashire Police have issued the following advice regarding it:

Email virus alert

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

If you have received an email from Lancashire Constabulary this morning do not open it and delete it immediately as it may contain a virus. If you have opened an email or attachment from us and are now experiencing problems with your computer please follow the following advice;

*Run a virus check and quarantine any suspicious items highlighted by your anti-virus software
*If you are a business user telephone your own IT department for further advice

We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it, please do not contact us to report it.

So there it is POE members, another scammer trying to part you from your hard earned cash and cause no end of damage besides, so be aware and NEVER OPEN ATTACHMENTS unless you know the sender.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:48 on 25th October 2015
On 22nd October 2015 10:14, Ron Brind wrote:

>>>> so be aware and NEVER OPEN ATTACHMENTS unless you know the sender.

Very sensible advice, Ron, but I would advise caution about opening attachments, even if you do know the sender, unless you know the sender to be scrupulous about internet security themselves. I have had several instances of friends unintentionally sending me infected e-mails. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:20 on 26th October 2015
A good point Edward thank you for responding, hope you are well?
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 14:23 on 26th October 2015
Yes Ron, I am well thank you, apart from a miserable cold which seems to be going the rounds at the moment. I hope you are bearing up too. As for suspicious attachments, I would also be careful of opening the greetings e-cards which appear as we approach Christmas. Even reputable card companies such as Hallmark Cards are sufficiently concerned to offer advice on the risks of opening e-cards.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:46 on 26th October 2015

Thanks again for another valid point Edward and yes I agree totally with these so called e-cards and never open them, not for any occasion.

Healthwise, we are as well as can be expected under the circumstances Edward thank you...you know, keep taking the tablets! lol

Please login to post to this thread...