Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The front of the little thatched church at Little Stretton, Shropshire

Little Stretton

in the county of Shropshire

View of the house and gardens at Eltham Palace, South London.

Eltham

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Beware, this telephone number is currently being used a Computer Scammer!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:04 on 24th August 2015

At 10:52 today an Asian scammer tried to get me to give him control of my PC telling me there was a problem with it. When I told him he was scamming b.....d he hung up!

Do not answer the phone, or questions when you see, or get calls from telephone number 00198977738880

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 11:13 on 24th August 2015
Did he say his name was Albert,Brian,or Michael--they are the ones who call me,i tend to have them on a bit and when ask for their number to ring back they put the phone down.oh-never heard of an Asian with those names.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 14:51 on 24th August 2015

I think I can usually spot a scam call, but the ones which are more likely to trick you are from callers who seem to be from your Bank, ISP, etc., and seem to know all your details. The calls sound convincing because they have got some inside information which a random cold caller would not have.

I had some calls a while back from a chap who said he was from Virgin Media and wanted to offer me a cheaper deal, and seemed to know all my account details. It all sounded too good to be true. I checked the number, and found it originated in Manila, which set the alarm bells ringing big time.

I contacted Virgin Media in the UK who said the number was nothing to do with them. Even so, there must have been a leak of confidential information to the dodgy outfit in Manila. It only takes one bad apple in an organisation to sell private data.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:51 on 24th August 2015
I've two calls telling me that I have a serious problem with my PC. The first time I just said that I didn't even own a PC which seemed to confuse the lady. The second time I laughed at the fellow which really got under his skin..........which was nice. 
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:07 on 24th August 2015
On 24th August 2015 18:51, Rod Burkey wrote:
I've two calls telling me that I have a serious problem with my PC. The first time I just said that I didn't even own a PC which seemed to confuse the lady. The second time I laughed at the fellow which really got under his skin..........which was nice. 

Excellent tactics, Rod, you master of Scouse derision !
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:54 on 25th August 2015

They really are scumbags, who would have your false teeth away if you opened your mouth long enough.

I reckon they should be dealt with under the terms of the Laws in which Country they try to scam people, with Universal power of arrest given to round them up, no matter where they live.

'Scam us and know that we are coming after you' would be my statement...

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:42 on 26th August 2015

Ron, maybe you are not aware of the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) This is an official body set up to ensure UK compliance with the relevant legislation on cold calling, The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003

The TPS is designed to prevent unwanted telephone cold-calling to individuals both on land-line and mobile numbers. You can register with them on-line. The service is free and very effective, but it can't stop calls originating from companies with no UK presence, or from companies you have given permission to use your number. On the strength of my experiences, I would recommend registering to prevent almost all these nuisance calls.

There is also a lot of useful information on the TPS web-site on how to deal with nuisance and scam calls.

Edited by: Edward Lever at:26th August 2015 11:04
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:28 on 26th August 2015

Thanks Edward and yes I am aware of the TPS. However, having registered twice over the years I think they also leave a bit to be desired.

You are correct of course re the 'UK presence' factor and generally speaking these scumbags are outside the UK.

ActionFraud is also a way to report these scams if it is a regular thing, but you will need details in order for it to be followed up successfully.

It's not even confined to landlines any longer either, with my number being called probably two or three times a week.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:45 on 30th September 2015
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 09:49 on 1st October 2015
Had one like this on Tuesday-i tend to wind em up and confuse themSmile
 Please login to post to this thread...