Birling Gap

in the county of East Sussex

Charmouth in Dorset

Charmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of Watendlath

Watendlath

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Commenting on pictures

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:25 on 21st March 2009

Well Sally----going through your lovely Lake District photos, have you noticed one thing that is having an impact on how they look, for you have various examples to show the difference, and that is where you're placing the horizon.

Perhaps you might have noticed the ones where the horizon is about a third from the top, have more impact---usually--that those when it's in the middle.  Then, with more foreground thus showing, handy to find something to place there, as your tree roots on one picture you did, and one person commenting picked up on that aspect of it right away.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 18:45 on 21st March 2009

My thanks both to Paul and Craig for you comments just the type of thing I was and am looking for.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 18:58 on 21st March 2009
On 20th March 2009 22:19, Ruth Gregory wrote:

You don't have to be a pro to be appreciated here.

You don't have to be a PRO to be on POE.

Sorry, couldn't resist 

Edited by: Sue . at:21st March 2009 20:39
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 20:17 on 21st March 2009
Love the humour!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:09 on 22nd March 2009
Hi Sally - thank you for the comments you have made on my photos. I have been really impressed by your photos especially the close ups. I am just an amateur and so I wouldn't make critical comments as I am not technical enough to do so! I did do a photography course in the 80s but things have changed so much since then! I just comment on the photos I like whether technically great or not - sometimes just because I like the subject matter. I hope you continue to put your photos on POE and enjoy the good comments as we would miss your lovely pictures now!
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 18:28 on 22nd March 2009

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for your comments. I have been disappointed with my butterfly shots, if you look carefully at the backgrounds you will see that that they are often pixalated (I think that's the right word), but I now have a new camera which will take RAW images so I am hoping to do better. I've had my left hand and wrist in a plaster cast since New Year following an op to replace my thumb joint so there's not been much photography going on lately. We're off on holiday to N Yorks soon so I am hoping for a bit of suitable weather to get out and take some fresh images.Smile

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 00:46 on 23rd March 2009

Hi Sally:  Lovely avatar, nice to see you.  I think your buttefly shots are great - I especially like this one:

Glasswing
Picture by Sally Birch

But I think I like this bee best of al your shots....

Bees
Picture by Sally Birch

I'm not a techie either when it comes to photography, but you did a great job on these.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 17:08 on 23rd March 2009

I agree Ruth - they are lovely. I think you have a great eye for photography and your composition is really good Sally.

Was thinking about the site and what it all means to us. I found the site by accident last April looking for an area I had come across and I was trying to find some information about it. Sometimes I put on pictures which I hope people will like and comment about but alot of the time I look for places that have no picture representation on the site and take pictures just to help people who are interested find out what the area looks like. I also like to put on pictures of my local area as it isn't always shown in a favourable light to the world and it is overlooked as a tourist area. The site is a great source of information as well as a place for people to look at the beautiful photos. I know Paul spends time recording some of the graves of famous people and Peggy the wonderful village signs. I have certainly learned alot from being a member!

Edited by: Stephanie Jackson at:23rd March 2009 17:09
Mark Green
Mark Green
quotePosted at 09:18 on 9th April 2009
From my point of view having only recently discovered this site I am spending far too much time looking at all the pictures!! If I left comments on them all as well I don't think that I would find much time to do anything else so I am only leaving comments on those pictures that I find absolutely stunning and there are a lot of those on here!!! Laughing
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5