Emsworth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of Hyde Park

Kensington

in the county of Greater London

Early Morning.

Ellesmere

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Colour Management

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 11:28 on 16th April 2011
Hi,
I recently bought a Colour Checker Passport which is a great tool and am now looking at maybe buying a ColorMunki Photo, which calibrates the screen and printer, to give accurate colours. Has anyone used this piece of kit?   
I've done the odd wedding and getting the colours accurate is pretty vital. Bride's dresses for example now vary greatly in shade and tone and I'd like to get these correct in the final prints.   
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:57 on 16th April 2011

As well as the bride's dress, the bridesmaids/matron of honour's dresses people will take note of too. My Nikon cameras are set to under-expose 1/3rd stop to keep the highlights.   They are also slightly altered in their colour settings for skin tones under Nikon's Neutral setting thus modified.

I shoot Raw & Jpeg and most of the album's photos will be from the Jpegs. I wouldn't dream of inkjet printing some 100-150 photos; cost a fortune not to mention the time too. Mine go on a CD, down to the photo lab and in an hour or so, photographic prints 6 x 8 all done and ready for the album.  Photo books seem to be getting more popular over the traditional wedding albums.

Colour management?   I use the one in Photoshop. 

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 20:47 on 16th April 2011

Because I like to print a number of A4 photos each year I too have considered some sort of colour calibration system (Christmas prezzie of course) and would be glad to hear what other POEers have to say on the subject.

I have to agree with Paul that I wouldnt consider printing dozens of photos at home although I do have a bulk ink system so my home printing is quite cheap.

I would also like to hear from anyone who can recommend a good printing lab for that special photo as I have been disappointed so far.
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:13 on 16th April 2011

A friend of mine has starting using Snapmad  in the Channel Islands for his very large framed prints and they do look good and their prices are reasonable too.

http://www.snapmad.com/index.php

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:57 on 16th April 2011

Just checking my cameras----the D3 has the D2X picture control loaded into it from Nikon's website and Hue set to   -1.   The D300 picture control is Neutral; Hue set to  -1.   The D300 with picture control set to Portrait people have found works very well for weddings too.

The Hue setting is taking a hint of yellow off the Jpeg processing for skin tones.

With Canon's picture styles,  Neutral or Faithful is set as I don't want any colours boosted in the in-camera processing.

For indoor flash---the D3 will be set at ISO 800, F4, 1/60th sec to keep interior lights/candles looking like they should, blending with the flash.

Here's Nikon's page for optional picture controls to download for D300 etc.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/picturecontrol/application/option.htm

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:17th April 2011 00:06
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 10:31 on 17th April 2011
Thanks for all the responses.
I do compile photo books, most of which  I get made up by myphotobook, based in Cologne and have been very happy with the colours, very much as I have set them using Photoshop. Also, I don not print long runs of prints, but present my images on disc, any prints being selected then.
Thanks for the advice Paul re the D300.
Still pondering about the "ColorMunki".
 Please login to post to this thread...