St Mawes

in the county of Cornwall

Welsh Hills from West Kirby, Merseyside

West Kirby

in the county of Merseyside

Early evening playtime on the wettest street in Slimbridge, Gloucestershire

Slimbridge

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Pictures by numbers

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:02 on 13th May 2013

One of the real joys of viewing POE, for me initially, is to look at the latest pictures downloaded. To see our homeland through the lenses of all those who choose to capture our United Kingdom is a pleasure, but I am more than sorry to say, less so these days. I suppose at my age of sixty-six and rising, a degree of Old Grumpiness is almost inevitable and I do concede that (well, a bit grudgingly). Now, when I view the latest pictures, I often see large batches of images downloaded from individuals, many with no descriptions of what the images portray, which might make some of them a lot more interesting. I also note an absence of the “gold star” against authors who seem content to supply, so thirty plus images at a time without any help to the viewer of what they are showing us. If an image, prized by the taker is submitted, surely the added time required to supply information in the form of a caption, other than “a picture of Grudginton” would really help. I don’t expect images to rival professional photographers’ work but at least, maybe more effort to explain, sometimes very obscure images of brick walls etc . A brick wall might have some real significance if only explained a little.

Maybe, the time is coming for those who feel unable to donate a small sum to POE, to have a set limit of how many images they are permitted to have showcased (for free) on the site.

Maybe, we should all be asked to supply a short caption on our pictures, for the sake of those outside Britain, and old duffers like me.

Maybe we, as contributors should think before we send off a large number of images at a time before thinking an edit might be a rather good idea.  

I realise that an awful lot of time is spent by POE maintaining it all, and greatly appreciate it.  

Pictures Of England is so very precious, to me and many, many others but please let’s keep it so. Foot in mouth

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:13th May 2013 17:34
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:37 on 13th May 2013

I have to agree (also perhaps with a little grumpiness) with you Rod.

In fact I would like to see a limit for everyone of say a maximum of 10 (II would prefer 6)  pictures up loaded on any one day by one individual!

This (might) encourage people to load the best and most interesting of their photos instead of a "conveyor belt" set of uploads, then a little more time could be spent on adding a description and, quite honestly, I might be more likely to comment on the photos!

It would also spread the load of looking and commenting through masses of very similar shots all in one go.  How much easier if they were spread over a few days when we could spend the time really looking and thinking and appreciating the photos! 

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 18:12 on 13th May 2013
I, too, have to agree with you both!
MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 18:44 on 13th May 2013
I totally agree, and I think there should be a limit of no more than 4 pictures in any 24 hours, for everyone, member or not, sometimes you get 4 or 5 pages of pictures uploaded from the same person, it's ridiculous.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 19:19 on 13th May 2013
I agree too, I was looking for a particular photo the other day and I had to wade through pages and pages of uploads by one member on the same day, a member who has an awful lot of photos on POE and who still hasn't got a gold star.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:54 on 13th May 2013
100% with you Rod, in fact I already suggested the 'compulsory caption) idea a short while ago. Just a little pop up box like the one that appears to remind that in our old age we have forgotten to rate a picture. And i do think the time is fast approaching the capping, I noticed a week ar so a new member who uploaded what must have been close to 200 pics in one or two days????? It's taken me two years to get near 1000. Also agree with Mike and Cath re a daily limit too, maybe somewher between 5 and 10??? I din't know. Hopefully that would make people more critical of here own work and whilst there is general a good standard of photography here a daily limit combined with hard self criticism could raise that standard to a much higher level. 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:54 on 13th May 2013

I also agree with what is being said and can tell you that if I was Chris and/or Sarah they would not be getting away with it, but the trouble is I think they are both working so hard on different parts of the site that they don't have time to fix the wheel.

Hopefully, this will be the 'nudge' that they need to get something done about this particular issue, if it's not already being done after the last time it was discussed.

As for the lack of picture descriptions I admit to getting absolutely fed up with those who persist in their laziness, because not only do I have to check the location, try to add something, sometimes via Google, decide on the acceptability of the image, whether it's overly duplicated by the member at the time, same picture different angle, the shall I approve it factor, grammar, spelling, spacing, upper and lower case edits and so the list goes on and on. I reckon you might be surprised just how many I delete for one reason or another.

I guess part of the trouble is those who submit the pictures don't necessarily use the forum to see what is being said and therefore unless they get an email saying please refrain from whatever (more work for C&S) then they probably don't even think about it.

As ever dear friends, loyal members I appreciate your concerns and will raise the issue again with C&S to see if we can finally bring this to a conclusion.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 23:27 on 13th May 2013

I am happy that I am not alone in thinking the way I do about our wonderful POE. It would be sad to see the picture content diluted by the actions of a few contributing members who can't perhaps see the wood for the trees, and just think before they fire off huge batches of images.

It is interesting for me to see that all of you who have responded have a gold star against your names. You, like I care a lot about POE. 

Thank you. I'm glad that I have brought this concern  to the  forum. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:42 on 13th May 2013
Yes, Rod but only a very few memmbers, Gold Satrs or not join in the forums.......no way of telling how many look in but take for example my last few post as The Lakeland Meanderer, from my weekl in the Lake District.......somthing in excess of 600 hits I think compared with about 50 replies....and those replies come from a very small handful....... The forums are the ideal place for subjects such as you have raised.......but the responses are only from that same few members....... We need to find a way of reaching the others........mass mails shots have their uses but how many people read them. I have only been here a couple of years but it would be a travesty to see the site disappear.
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:17 on 14th May 2013
It would indeed. Well said Dave. 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >