Over 140,000 photos of England.
17,000+ Members
Click here to join the community
Pictures of England

Exploring the most Picturesque & Historic parts of England..

Lack of pucture comments.

Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:03 on 6th January 2017

Firstly I would like to apologise for my typo. It should be "lack of PICTURE comment". I really must start taking more water with it

I have not been submitting many images to POE recently partly due to my photography taking a slightly different direction. When I do log in to view the latest images, I am struck by the almost total lack of comment from other photographers. Why do people not comment anymore? 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:6th January 2017 21:09
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:24 on 6th January 2017

Hello Rod and its good to see your input to the Picture Chat. I am also puzzled why there are so few comments on the submissions, although you will see I have recently made a comment on your latest contribution. 

Personally, I hope somebody does look at my pictures on PoE.  I am not expecting praise, but constructive criticism is always welcome, since I consider myself to be an amateur.

Is PoE really so moribund that only a handful of people care to comment ?  Sadly, I think the answer is in the affirmative, whether the medicine is taken with water or not.

Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:21 on 7th January 2017

Thanks for responding Edward. You are one who does contribute pictures and comments on those of others. It seems we are in a very small minority. This being the case, should we assume that not many take the trouble to even view the new pictures. I suppose that must logically be the case. It must give photographers little incentive to contribute. I have no idea how many sales are made. I don't offer mine for sale. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 11:20 on 7th January 2017

I suspect there are more viewings of the pictures from outside of PoE (via search engines) than directly from people logged into PoE. This might explain the lack of comments, because you have to be a member of PoE to comment.

I have sold 18 pictures so far, and quite a few others have been stolen by a variety of offenders ranging from magazines to other web sites. I suppose the positive of seeing them elsewhere is that somebody has taken the effort to view them. I don't get too upset unless the offender has had the cheek to assign copyright to themselves, in which case a swift response is forthcoming.

It is particularly annoying that some of my images that have been taken without permission were not offered for sale anyway, due to other commercial issues (e.g. lack of property release).

Edited by: Edward Lever at:7th January 2017 11:21
Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:47 on 7th January 2017
Good points Edward. I too have seen my humble images "pinched" and used without my permission. It really does not bother me much. 
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:41 on 13th January 2017

I can only hope that no-one made any money out of pinching your pictures, Rod.

Out of morbid curiousity, I have just clicked the 'Latest Comments' tab on the PoE homepage. I see that there are no comments except mine which I made on your Muhammad Ali picture six days ago. It is disappointing that no-one else seems bothered in making any comments at all on any of the submissions. Surely others must have views? Or perhaps the average standard is now so poor that words fail them. With apologies to the few that do submit (in my opinion) good pictures.

As I have said previously in this thread, I welcome any comments, and I am not looking for praise, but would like to see constructive criticism. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:13th January 2017 10:48
Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 11:54 on 13th January 2017

I have posted comments recently. However, the lack of comments apart from you Edward and a very few others, says it all really. I fear for the photographic content of Pictures of England. My renewal is now overdue but I feel somewhat dispondent and wonder whether I have anything to contribute now. 

I love photography and contribute to picture sharing sites, the odd magazine and have had images used for brochures and travel guides, and maybe that is where my future (even at my vintage)lies. 

Rather sad but, I fear true.

Please login to post to this thread...