Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Breamor

Breamore

in the county of Hampshire

View over the River Dart

Galmpton

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dartmoor

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 16:21 on 24th January 2008
Last year i put together or replaced all my wilderness back packing equipment for a trip to Dartmoor, but the trip was sunk under a deluge of weeks of heavy rain and floods. This year i plan on going for it again. I've used Ivybridge as the jump off point on a couple of times, but the south of Dartmoor isn't an ideal for getting lost. Has anyone tried entering Dartmoor from another route.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Pat Trout
Pat Trout
quotePosted at 19:50 on 21st March 2008

hello .

there are severall places you can start for a walk on DARTMOOR.

OKEHAMPTON  army camp. but check for firing first. especailly week days.

HIGH DOWN grid 52503 85365.  NODEN  gate grid 52985 86350. PREWLEY water works grid 54786 90997. BELSTONE grid 61905 93550.

KES TOR grid 66205 88578. FERNWORTHY forest grid 65860 83920.  POST BRIDGE grid 646 789 . that is where we are starting from tomorrow,

this is just a few places,

regards Mrs pat Trout

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:01 on 22nd March 2008

Hi Pat

Welcome to the POE forum, and what a start! Why?....Check first for firing!! Seems like a very sensible thing to do and a useful piece of information for not only fellow members, but all visitors to this fantasic website, and the area generally.

Pat Trout
Pat Trout
quotePosted at 19:44 on 22nd March 2008

why i said check for Firing, is Because the army do thier training out on dartmoor, there are three ranges. Okehampton, Merrivale, &willsworthy.

there is a web page with the firing days and times .although sometimes we forget to check and get down there only to find the red flags flying, so have to re arrange our walk and keep outside the range poles.

all the best pat

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:00 on 22nd March 2008
The way I wrote that Pat made it read as if I didn't understand, but I do, and I was merely saying thanks for warning us generally. Perhaps I'd had a drop too much whiskey, because reading it again it doesn't flow does it? Thanks again for your input and watch out for those bullets!
 Please login to post to this thread...