Watendlath

in the county of Cumbria

Near Yarmouth, Isle of Wight

Yarmouth

in the county of Isle of Wight

St Thomas More Catholic Church

Chelsea

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

soutwest or northeastern coasts?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ola Öhrn
Ola Öhrn
quotePosted at 13:48 on 12th October 2008

Hej,

As I am almost done with my master studies in sustainable technology, thoughts of moving to the UK has entered my mind. Since I have always lived close to the coastline (in Sweden and U.S) and enjoyed it, I see no point in changing :)....So, which coastal sceneries are a must to examine before moving? Both countryside and towns are options since I will most likely start my own eco/green consulting firm (as long as it east 3-4 hours away from an urban area :).

Soutwest England? Northeast? if you have any recommendations and picture links, please let me know!

Thanks for your help.

O.O

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:18 on 12th October 2008

Well as you know, in England you're never very far from the coast wherever you live. But I too would like to live right by the coast.

I have never lived by either coast, and I'm not familiar with them either, so I hope someone else pops in here to help you along the way.

If you look at the picture tours of some of the counties that lay in the areas you are thinking of that may help too. 

And a HUGE welcome to the POE (Pictures of England) forums Ola.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 17:29 on 12th October 2008
Wecome Ola. All our coast is beautiful. I love the Southwest (Cornwall and Devon) but the houses are more expensive there. I also love Pembrokeshire in South Wales.
L
L
quotePosted at 19:44 on 12th October 2008
Hi Ola welcome to PoE. I hate to admit it but I usually go abroad for my holidays and as I live in the middle of England it's sort of land locked here lol but I must admit I do like Cornwall and Devon. I prefer to go south or west myself, but I've never been to Scotland Embarassed
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 01:28 on 13th October 2008
If you don't mind our rather cold winters, the North East is a very beautiful place.  I'm less than 30 miles from the northern coastal resorts (South Shields, Roker/Seaburn, Seaton Carew, Redcar and Saltburn.  Whitby and Scarborough are not that far awy, either.  We also have some of the most beautiful countryside imaginable in Weardale and Teesdale, and the whole area is steeped in history, if you like that sort of thing.  The people are very friendly too, which you might find assists you to settle in quickly.  In the end the choice is yours, but wherever you choose to make your home, I'm sure you will receive a warm welcome.
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 02:29 on 13th October 2008

3 -4 hours away from an urban area I would presume would be difficult in England now  Ola, as it will only take that long to get from one side to the other, east to west.

I always preferred the south west coast or the Welsh coast .

If you are looking for an isolated coastline I suggest Australia.Smile

Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 02:37 on 13th October 2008
In less time that that you can travel all the way from Newcastle-upon-Tyne to London by train!  I would think that you could reach any part of the country you liked in no more than a few hours!  To consider getting 3 - 4 hours away from an urban area, you'd have to reckon on walking!  Even then it might not be that easy.  But the beautiful scenery of Northumberland and Durham in the north-east, and Cumbria with its beautiful Laje District National Park on the north-western coast has to be seen to be believed.
Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 02:43 on 13th October 2008

Try going to this website:

www.visitnortheastengland.com

or try

http://www.northeastengland.talktalk.net/Prince%20Bishops%20of%20Durham.htm

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:35 on 4th January 2009
Haven't heard anything from Alan and/or Ola for a long time.....hope all is well?
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:56 on 24th February 2009
It must be the English Lake district Ola, however I suguest you stay and sample the area before you decide if its what you realy want. Englands a bit like ice cream, lots of different nice flavours but you must sample them all to decide on your favourite lol