'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Watergate Street from the walls - Chester

Chester

a Historic City in the county of Cheshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Dartmoor

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 13:05 on 10th February 2009

I'm planning a trip to Dartmoor. Here are my questions ;

What's the best place to stay if I want to visit Dartmoor national parc? Exeter, Plymouth somewhere else?

Is the train a good transportation modum? I remember the trains in 1996 and they where very clean and regular something I couldn't say a few years later (since the privatisation I guess?). Is the parc easy to reach by train or should I hire a car?

Are there cars allowed inside the parc or is it only restricted for walking?

Many thanks for the thousands of answers

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:11 on 10th February 2009
Ha, ha Patrick thousands of answers? Let's hope you get enough to resolve your problem. However, one thing that I can help you with is to remind you that booking your hotel accommodation securely online through www.picturesofengland.com/hotels/ will get you a special internet only rate, that will be cheaper than going direct to the hotels! So there is your first little bit of help. No doubt POE forum members will fill in the other bits for you, if not I will personally look into it for you.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:41 on 10th February 2009

I would rent a car Patrick. Dartmoor is huge, and there is so much to see.

There will be many little B&B's (bed & breakfast) in villages in and around Dartmoor that would make a great place to stay.

I'd google Dartmoor and then look for places, I bet you'll hit the mother load. Oh, but do try POEs link first though. 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:44 on 10th February 2009

Here a a few good links

http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/visiting.html

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/index/visiting/vi-whocanhelp.htm 

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 17:04 on 10th February 2009
It depends which part of Dartmoor you would like to visit Patrick. We stay at Malborough near Salcombe every year and then we drive up to the National Park some of the days. I think you would need to hire a car to get around as it is such a big area or stay somewhere where there is alot to do and alot of places to walk or cycle hire. I have been to Buckfastleigh in the south east which is nice and it has the old steam train line and otter sanctuary. It is not far from the National  Park. Then there is Lydford which is supposed to be beautiful on the North West side. We visited the prison museum last year at Princetown which was very interesting but it was on a very bleak, misty and rainy day! As Sue said it is a massive area so it really depends what you want to do. Oh yes your question about cars - there are some roads through the park with parking areas where you can walk from to get to the areas not accessible by road. I am not really familiar with travelling by train to there - I think there are stations at Okehampton.

Edited by: Stephanie Jackson at:10th February 2009 17:08
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:53 on 11th February 2009
many thanks for your answers. My next question will soon be posted
 Please login to post to this thread...