Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

View of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Clifton, Bristol, Somerset. Summer 2004

Bristol

a Historic City in the county of Somerset

Hunstanton

Hunstanton

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Help wanted !

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:59 on 3rd March 2009

Hello

As most of you know, I'm planning a trip to England's green country. We like to hire a car but have an important question (to us). We'll be landing at Bristol airport (with Ryanair) and wish to hire a car from Hertz. We know that many cars in Britain have their transmission on the steering wheel so we would like to know if we can hire a car where the transmission is between the front seats (like in the good ol' continent).

I've called their helpdesk but got some brainless teenage child on the line so that was more a wast of time and money. To make things worse they don't seem to be interested in answering their e-mails.

Can anybody find out if we can hire a car at Hertz Bristol with a transmission 'continental style' e.g. between the front seats and NOT at the steering wheel?

A thousands thanks !!!

Patrick

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 12:31 on 3rd March 2009
Not sure what you mean Patrick - when we have hired cars on the continent they are the same as ours only left hand drive. Do you want automatic transmission?
David Donnelly
David Donnelly
quotePosted at 13:29 on 3rd March 2009

I'm not sure what Patrick means either," We know that many cars in Britain have their transmission on the steering wheel". Do you mean a "tiptronic" type electronic gearbox where you have a paddle on the steering column ? I heard about them but never seen one, the usual type of transmission in England is "manual" (stick) or automatic, both controls would be between the driver's and front passenger's seat.

Regards.    

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 13:48 on 3rd March 2009
We don't want the transmisson on the steering wheel. Here we have the transmission between the two front seats. So no automatic either
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 13:58 on 3rd March 2009

You should have no problem Patrick - probably 98% of the cars here have the gear lever between the two front seats as most of our cars come from Europe. You will be safe with most makes of car. As David said only the rare one has the paddle on the steering column & they are usually sports cars - they don't tend to hire them out except at very expensive rates!  

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:05 on 3rd March 2009
I think David's assumption seems correct with variations of VW-Audi's Tiptronic/ DSG padel chages F1 style on steering wheels, but most of the cars I've seen have auto-transmission changes between the seats. I would have thought any car hirer would be able to answer such a question about their cars, but apparently not.
David Donnelly
David Donnelly
quotePosted at 15:41 on 3rd March 2009

Going on the principle of "a picture is worth a thousand words" :

These are the common types of car transmissions in England/UK:

http://harleydonski.googlepages.com/cartransmissions

Regards.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:54 on 6th March 2009
hi Patrick, the last 'british' vehicle I can remember driving with the gear change on the steering column was a Bedford van back in the 60,s or a Standard Vangaurd car in the late 50's (my father drove) Renault (French) had some a few years ago with 'funny' column changes but almost all cars in britain have gear changes between the seats. The only other cars are what we call automatics where you dont use a manual gear selector but change gear automaticly as the revs and speed increase. some allow a 'manual overdrive' or gearchange by 'kicking' the accelerator (two peddles, Left footbrake, right accelerator). (Forget you have a left foot) Remember to drive on the left though and take care at mini-roundabouts . The simple rule is give way to traffic coming from the right at roundabouts and if at a mini roundabout a car is aproaching you with its right indicator flashing, he has the right of way, to cross your path. Dont worry, us Brits have the same problem when we drive abroad lol
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 13:14 on 9th March 2009
On 3rd March 2009 15:41, David Donnelly wrote:

Going on the principle of "a picture is worth a thousand words" :

These are the common types of car transmissions in England/UK:

http://harleydonski.googlepages.com/cartransmissions

Regards.

Well, that's what I meant. Thanks everybody
 Please login to post to this thread...