'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Doncaster Minster

Doncaster

in the county of South Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Visiting England in Summer 2009 with kids Any Ideas

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Matt Mitguard
Matt Mitguard
quotePosted at 01:04 on 23rd May 2009

We are a family from San Francisco coming to England this summer. Kids range in age from 7 to 17. I want to spend time outdoors, my wife wants to embrace your historical and architectural treasures, and the kids just want to have "fun". 

We will be based primarilly in London. Plan to see as many sites as practical within a 7day period,   beginning with Stonehenge and moving to various museums, parks, and buildings. A trip to Madresfield is also likely as my Mom's family lineage was apparently linked to that family so I will go see it since she  was not able to.

Anyhow, I would really like to see the open country or the coast? Would driving from London to Scotland be a good means to see the country? Also, I would like to take a train or a ferry to see the sights.  I am a musician and would love to know if there is any acoustic and/or jazz music strongholds in the area too.  

No ideas are unwanted, so please share what comes to mind. I would appreciate it.

Thank You, Matt

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:55 on 23rd May 2009
Hi Matt and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. I am sure you will get lots of help and suggestions from our POE family in this thread that you have started, but, for a real POE welcome why not introduce yourself in 'User Introductions'. Either way enjoy this fabulous website and forum.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 08:34 on 23rd May 2009

hi matt and welcome from me.I'm afraid you wont even see what london alone  has to offer in 7 days lol.

London is the place to stay for such a short time, lots to see both for adults and kids. dont hire a car, the public transport system is the quickest and easiest to get around London. 

(listen to me lol, i'm the one that tells every one to visit Lancashire),  England has everything, fantastic scenery, history, fun, etc. etc. but you need at least a month to even 'scratch the surface'. Something different in every county. Take a look at the pictures on POE.best of luck.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 22:25 on 23rd May 2009

try this site matt

www.worcestershire.gov.uk/MyParish/Entry.aspx?ParishID=53&PostCode=WR135AJ&Prop=32861&​

or just google  Parish web site madresfield

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:36 on 17th August 2009
If you are out there Matt and back from your trip, How did it go, we love feedback!!
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:33 on 18th August 2009

Welcome Matt! I visited San Francisco on my honeymoon 14 years ago. Loved it!

I come from the Black Country in the West Midlands. I have only visited London about three times in 44 years so I am in no position to recommend your London trips but I will say I think a drive to Scotland wouldn't be the best way to see the country as you would spend alot of time stuck on our dreadful motorways stuck in traffic with moaning children and teenagers! There are some great places in the North of England and Scotland but I would try those on a separate trip.

As you are staying near London I would explore the area near where you are staying - easy drives away and then when, hopefully, you can plan a return trip you could stay in a different area. Dorset has some lovely coastal areas to visit. If you are planning a longer drive I would head across to Devon - there is alot of beautiful countryside, things for the children to do and beautiful coast (and not too long a drive).

Have a great time!

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:35 on 18th August 2009

Just noticed Matt that you posted this in May when i was away on my holidays! Don't know if you have been yet but if you did hope you had a great time!

Please login to post to this thread...