Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Aintree racecourse

Aintree

in the county of Merseyside

Berry Head

Brixham

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Visiting Yorkshire, question on restaurants

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Nancy Kay
Nancy Kay
quotePosted at 21:16 on 30th July 2010

Good afternoon. I posted in this forum last year, enquiring about a bridge I had seen on All Creatures Great and Small, as we were hoping to visit the Yorkshire area autumn of 2009. That did not happen. It looks as if we will go this September, 2010. I definitely want to spend time touring the Dales and find that cute bridge(it is on the road between Reeth and Langthwaite), and take a drive out Swale Dale, towards Gunnerside and drive through the towns of Crackpot and Booze. Our first few nights we plan on staying near Harrogate at North Dockenbush b&b(if they have a room, we have not booked yet). I would not mind spending a night or two in the Dales but not having been there before, am wondering about the restaurants. I'd hate to get a room and find we have to drive an hour to get a decent meal. We would rather not eat in a pub/bar-type place, as I would assume it would be smokey and noisy. Can you tell me what to expect in the way of places to eat? We are certainly not looking for fancy, just not noisy.

And when driving the Dales, the distances on the Michelin map look not very long but should we plan on the drive taking longer than we think? If we stayed in Harrogate, would it be a long drive back if we spent the day at the Dales? Perhaps a b&b outside Richmond would be a better choice after we have been to Fountains Abbey et al. Would Richmond have a selection of restaurants for dinner? 

Nancy

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:51 on 30th July 2010

Smoking isn't allowed in public buildings so I don't think you'll find smoky pubs.  If I were travelling around, I'd go for a quiet country pub where you can have a drink and a nice meal. I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble finding nice restaurants too.  Then there's always fish and chip shops for a change as well, say for lunch.

When I had a number of friends visiting from the US last year, lunch and dinners were invariably at pubs along the way, and I don't think they were disappointed with the ones in the South here.

Nancy Kay
Nancy Kay
quotePosted at 00:54 on 31st July 2010
We usually scope out places to eat for dinner, in the afternoon, to see how long a drive it would be from where we are staying(don't like to get lost on unfamiliar roads). So no smoking in restaurants/pubs is good to hear. In the States, some restaurants have tv's on, tho mainly near the bar area. This can be very distracting. Somehow when I think of an English pub I think of a noisey/rowdy crew. Sounds as though that is not necesarily so.  
 Please login to post to this thread...