Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Dawn

Dudley

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of Groombridge

Groombridge

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Narrow boat trip

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 14:53 on 10th September 2010

Just been working on a new tour about narrow boats.  A great subject and so colorful. It al looks so peaceful on the canals and visiting parts of England you normally won’t spot traveling by car.

As soon as I  persuaded my wife, I spoiled here the last years by staying at classy B&B’s, I hope to book a trip for a week for a try-out.

Are there members on POE who have experiences with narrow boats? Patrick Hogan of course, he is living on one of them for years now. I want to know some more ins and outs, do’s and don’ts. What is a good route to start, what better to avoid. Input please!

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:24 on 10th September 2010

my only experience of canal boats was about 8 years ago,the family hired one for the day on the leeds liverpool canal   we had 8 hours to get from one place to another i think we made it with 10 mins to spare it was a very good day and i can recommend it to anyone.

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 16:33 on 13th September 2010
A great way to see the UK, slow and peaceful.Some beautiful scenery. Many canals throughout the country, north, south and mid-lands. My advice is do your homework, plenty of 'stuff' on the internet, lots of history and things to see. Avoid cities if you can for overnight stops, some have 'dodgy' crime rates. Don't let this put you off though, I'm just advising you to be streetwise, as you would in most countries. Pick an area, and research on line. I don't think you will be disappointed but don't forget, you will probely park your car (if you are using one) at the boatyard so hire a couple of bikes to get around the villages with (and chain them to your boat lol) Good luckLaughing
Mike Franklin
Mike Franklin
quotePosted at 19:46 on 13th September 2010
If you travel down the Grand Union Canal near Milton Keynes and Leighton Buzzard be sure to stop off at 'The 3 Locks' near Stoke Hammond and 'The Globe' near LB. The 3 Locks has just been refurbished and is a great place to stop off for a bite to eat.
 Please login to post to this thread...