'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

At the Welsh Slate Museum.

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Planning Our Trip--Suggestions From People In The Know?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 12:40 on 8th January 2011

Nora, I may be able to meet up with you once you get to Yorkshire, as I am north of there but not a far drive for us ( as we drive all over lol). Your camera ...is it digital or in need of batteries to work...reason being that recharge here will be different...alarm clocks that plug into power won't work here due to the connection adaption...

I don't want to make this sound as tho I am talking down to you...but the various americans who have come across and stayed with us, have found that their 'stuff' didn't work here due to these reasons...If you wish to....send me an email and we can chat about these things... Edited by SUE    and you can ask any questions , concerns you wish....look forward to hearing from you ...

I have edited out your email address Beth, as it's not a good idea to post on a public forum, where any Tom, Dick or Harry may pick it up and use it for there benifit.

I will email Nora with your email address and post so that she does not lose out.  SUE - Moderator for POE

Edited by: Sue at:8th January 2011 16:29
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 12:44 on 8th January 2011

Nora, you won't need an electric alarm clock, or anything electrical that plugs in...cuz the power outlets are diff here...including hair dryers, curling irons etc etc...  tell ya what...to make it easier...email me and I will send you our pre-detailed listing that may help you as we have americans who come across and stay here with us at different times of the year...( being a former american...lol...we speak the language LOL)  but it's an offer to you also.....we are just north of Yorkshire....

Edited by Sue

Edited by: Sue at:8th January 2011 16:22
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:08 on 8th January 2011
Beth did you know that anyone can click on your name above your avatar which will take them to your "pictures"? When they get there they will see just under the heading the word "contact"?  If they click on "contact" they can send you a message directly!  No need to give out any email addresses and it's secure! 
Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 06:09 on 9th January 2011

Thats strange.. I can't seem to find my friends on POE, it seems they may have quit. Anyone seen or heard from Tom, Dick or Harry?

Lol... just kidding Sue ;-)

Edited by: Toby Craig at:9th January 2011 06:16
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:58 on 9th January 2011

Nora Jean:  Sounds like you have made a very wise decision in not trying to see too many things in too widely varied places. You mentioned going to see The Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium Theatre--have you bought tickets yet? You might want to check out the Theatre Monkey site for full information on any plays and venues in London: http://www.theatremonkey.co.uk/. Click on the "By Venue Name" button and find the London Palladium. The site gives you huge amounts of information, including seating charts, recommended seats, seating opinions on which ones to avoid, where and how to purchase tickets, etc. I have used this site myself and have found it to be immensely useful!

As to dining in London and York, I recommend that you use the Top Table site to find some great restaurants: http://www.toptable.com/. You can have a look at hundreds of restaurants by area, price-range, cuisine, location, etc. There are user opinions, photos of the restaurants (many of them have 360-degree views) and discounts. If you choose to register (its free), you can also book reservations, often at quite a savings. I have also very successfully used this service. BTW, my absolute favorite restaurant in London is Indigo in the Aldwych Hotel on the Strand in Covent Garden--pricey, but food to die for!

Since you are planning on renting a car in Yorkshire, places outside of York that you might want to visit could include Castle Howard, Helmsley, which is a lovely town that has a romantic castle ruin and is just a couple miles from the even more romantic ruins Rievaulx Abbey, and the surviving Roman road on Wheeldale Moor in the North Yorkshire Moors just outside of the town of Goathland.

Castle Howard:

Castle Howard
Picture by Jack Cousin

Helmsley Castle:

Helmsley Castle, North Yorkshire
Picture by Frank Smith

Rievaulx Abbey:

Rievaulx Abbey
Picture by Bettina Müller

I hope this helps and I also hope that you have a wonderful trip!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:9th January 2011 14:32
norajean
norajean
quotePosted at 17:12 on 9th January 2011

Thank you again, Rob.  Actually, I can book tickets through the Michael Crawford Fan Association, they reserve a certain section of whatever event he is in for members.  

I would like to see Rievaulx Abbey, all the pictures that I have seen look beautiful. There is one on this site of some horses in a pasture with the abbey in the background, it's one of my favorite pictures ever.  I can't imagine living with these ruins, or for that matter, buildings that are hundreds and hundreds of years old around me on a daily basis!  Amazing!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:18 on 9th January 2011
I also hired a car and driven from York to the places Rob mentioned plus Byland Abbey and a couple of others!  The dales you travel through are gorgeous and its easy driving too, especially if you are generally "out of season".  Have a wonderful trip.
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 17:41 on 9th January 2011

Nora:  Ditto on Cathy's suggestion of Byland Abbey! Since you are going to be in Yorkshire on the off-season, it would not be surprising if you had Rievaulx Abbey all to yourself--it is spectacular and very atmospheric! 

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:31 on 10th January 2011
theres a great Railway Museum in York if you are interested in history and a trip out (about 1 hours drive) from York is Howarth (see pics on this site), the home of the Brontes. (try reading Wuthering Hieghts, or Jane Eyre before you come to England to get a flavour) If you watch the film The Railway Children you can visit the setting at oakworth, just outside Howarth. The daffodills will be around at your time of visit.Enjoy!
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 23:49 on 10th January 2011

Speaking of trains, Nora, you and your husband might want to consider a nice ride on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (http://www.nymr.co.uk/), which is absolutely charming (Goathland is one of the stations and it was used in the first Harry Potter movie, both when the Hogwarts students arrived and when they departed). There is nothing quite like a ride on a real steam train through the beautiful English countryside, especially the North Yorkshire Moors!