Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Brook House Inn

Boot

a Picturesque Village in the county of Cumbria

Village Stocks

Tutbury

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Driving in England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 21:24 on 30th December 2010
Thanks for thinking of me. It's not just the money. CryCryCryCry
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:44 on 30th December 2010

Everybody is so sweet and positive, then I come along.

I drove in England for many years, growing up there. But I wouldn't dream of driving there any more. The roads scare the living daylights out of me, and I'm a passenger.

Going from driving on one side of the road to the other is not an easy transition. I've lived in the States for 18 + years, and I still sometimes pull out on the wrong side of the road.

I'm not trying to scare you, but just putting forth a different point of view.

I would SERIOUSLY consider different forms of transportation, especially if you are already a hesitant driver.

And yes, I could tell you horror stories of American drivers on English roads, some of which end in tragedy.

Only you know how confident a driver you are. Good luck in your decision.  

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 21:49 on 30th December 2010

Thanks Sue!!! I honestly don't want to have to worry about driving. I am already very nervous about traveling...so if I don't have to drive all the better!!

So, having said that...how easy is it to travel by bus or train?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:58 on 30th December 2010
its easy krissy but can work out very expensive.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:43 on 30th December 2010

Sue says>>>Everybody is so sweet and positive

Not me Sue, simply gave a piece of sensible advice, but you are correct in what you say. I have driven in both the UK and the USA and would naturally say the UK was easy. The fact is, it is only easy in the USA (for the UK driver) whilst you are following aother vehicle.The minute that vehicle disappears, you automatically want to revert to what you know best, you cross lanes! Not good.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:46 on 30th December 2010

Train is very easy, and you can book from the States and get some pretty decent prices if you look around. 

Google British Rail, or Virgin or this is the one I used

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ 

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 19:32 on 31st December 2010
Trains are easy but pricey unless you buy a travelcard, the only problem is how to get around once you arrive at the destination station. It also depends on the area you intend traveling. Buses are a cheaper and very good option. All in all public transport is quite good and safe in daylight hours. Good Luck
Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 21:44 on 31st December 2010

Hi Krissy,                                                                                     

I think you should decide once you are here and have seen our roads first hand.                                                                                                    I would say that if you are visiting large towns i.e. London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc. forget driving as it would be far easier and less stressful to travel on public transport anyhow. However, more rural routes with visits to smaller towns and villages shouldn't present too much of a problem.  Also an absolute must (for any foreign travel) would be to use a "Sat-Nav".  These little boxes are an absolute boon and make for a far safer and relaxed drive. Knowing exactly where you are going and which lane to be in etc. is "half the battle" as they say. Some of these now have a "pedestrian" mode too, so are useful for sightseeing whether you choose to drive or not.                                                               
Most of all, enjoy your visit Krissy.

Edited by: Toby Craig at:31st December 2010 22:07
TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 22:45 on 31st December 2010

During all our visits to England (with exception the trips to London), we travel by car. I don't have any problems with driving 'on the wrong site'. Most of the lanes we travel are to narrow for two vehicles to pass. 

The very first time I traveled  to England by car, in the weeks before we go before I go to sleep I imagine driving my car and try to vizualize cars passing me at the other site I'm used to. Just think of a familiar stretch of road and turn the traffic the other way round.  A kind of mind game. It could help.

My other advice is "go with the flow" and take your time.  

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 23:40 on 31st December 2010

Sue, I can appreciate the drving dilemna as I have had the same situation except I realized that IF THE DRIVER is in the center of the road, no matter which country ( UK OR USA) you are on the correct side of the road.