'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kenilworth Castle keep, Warwickshire, in the depths of winter again.

Kenilworth

in the county of Warwickshire

View of Marazion from St. Michaels Mount, Cornwall

Marazion

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Driving in England

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4

Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 19:27 on 5th January 2011

I was fortunate on my two trips to have my friend's husband along who got elected to do all the driving.  He had never driven there before, but being a meticulous detail-oriented chap, he handled it quite well.  I came to appreciate the efficiency of roundabouts as compared to our intersections.  If you miss your turn, you can simply go round again until you get it right!  We stayed in London the first several days then picked up our rental car on the way out of town.  If you want the freedom of exploring the countryside from village to village, you pretty much need a car.  We booked our cars through Enterprise online before we traveled there.  A number of things are cheaper if you buy them in the US before traveling there (with the exception of changing currency).  Oh yeah, I found out the hard way that it's best to notify your bank before you travel if you're planning to use your bank debit/check card over there.  I got to Heathrow and tried to get cash from the ATM and was denied.  I had to call my bank and spent at least a half hour on the phone getting that sorted out, proving I was the owner of the card.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:39 on 5th January 2011

Great tips Barbara! Thank you!

Do they have insurance for drivers, in case of injury? Just thinking ahead! LOL!

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 20:30 on 5th January 2011

Krissy:  Check with your own insurance company and health care provider to see what they will cover in the event of personal injury in the event of an accident--yours or others who are involved.

In the case of the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), which fully covers damage and theft to the rental car and which rental companies offer as a supplement to the rental cost, you can waive those fees by charging your car rental on a VISA card. Here is their CDW car rental site: http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_dmg_waiver_personal.html

Remember to always very closely inspect your rental car for previous damage and note it on the initial inspection form. Record every ding, dent and scratch before you accept the car. One problem I ran into on my last trip over was that I had to inspect my rental car in a torrential rain storm--and I mean of Biblical proportions! It was raining so hard that I had to actually run my hands over the hood, trunk, roof and sides of the car to find previous dents. And it is a good thing, too, because I detected a rather large half-moon dent in the hood that I wasn't able to see because of the heavy rain and the dark color of the car. Yeah, I ended up soaking wet, but when I brought the car back a month later, I was able to prove to the inspector that the dent had been there when I rented the car--he was skeptical until I produced my copy of the inspection checklist and he compared it to the original document. It pays to be really meticulous when it comes to documenting prior damage to a rental car!

Also remember that you don't need an international driver's license--your state driver's license and passport are just fine.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:36 on 5th January 2011
not too many people check their rental car rob,my son travels abroad a lot on business -germany,italy,spain and always checks everything.it only takes a few minutes but its well worth it.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:39 on 5th January 2011
That is an excellent tip Rob, and one I wouldn't have thought of unless I saw something obvious.  Thanks for that.
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 20:41 on 5th January 2011

You all are a life saver!!!! This is info I would never think of on my own!!!

Now if I had won that 300+ million Mega Millions, I would have taken you all with me!!

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4