Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Beeston Castle in Tarporley, Cheshire.

Tarporley

in the county of Cheshire

Village sign

Fletching

in the county of East Sussex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Looking for Temporary Accommodations in England & Scotland

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Joel Mcdonald
Joel Mcdonald
quotePosted at 19:21 on 19th February 2011

We're rethinking about how to do our year long trip to the U.K.

We're planning to be in England from September 1st, 2011 to roughly December 20th, 2011. Then after a 2+ week train trek through France, Italy and Greece, back and in Scotland from roughly Janurary 3rd, 2012 to early July 2012.

It has been suggested we offer house sitting to U.K. families that are themselves planning trips during these periods. We're a family of 7. My wife (a school teacher)and her 3 daughters (15, 13, 9) are Canadian. I'm an American (work in media). My son (13) and daughter (14) are European/American dual citizens. This is primarily for education and life experiences.

If this option and corresponding dates appeals to anyone in this forum we'd like to talk further.

Thanks.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Kendal Cottages
Kendal Cottages
quotePosted at 15:33 on 30th June 2011

Being realistic, I think it's very unlikely that you'll get to housesit for anyone for that length of period of time, for lots of reasons:

1. a family of 7 is pretty big by UK standards

2. you are talking about quite a long period of time

3. anyone seeking a housesitter will more likely go for a friend, or at least a friend of a friend, rather than someone they've never met

4.most families wouldn't be away for these dates as, bar the October half term, it is UK term time

5. even someone looking for a housesitter would, I would imagine, anticipate just one or two people staying in the property (as that is all that's required to have some level of occupancy).  7 occupants is going to result in much more wear and tear.

You'd be better off speaking to some letting agents IMHO and going from there. 

Edited by: Ron Brind at:1st July 2011 09:08
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...