'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Looking over to Freshwater Bay.

Freshwater

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Any tips for Dutch family travelling through Cornwall, Devon and Somerset?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul Hartog
Paul Hartog
quotePosted at 08:30 on 26th June 2011

We stay in Minehead, Salcombe, Boswinger, Exeter, Boscombe, Bath and travel by car. Already on our list are; the Eden Project, Stonehenge & Oxford.

We would love to get tips on what to see and what to do. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Family Hartog

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:23 on 26th June 2011

Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron, Paul.

The first tip that I would give you is to book your accommodation securely online via the POE website to get it cheaper than by going direct! See http://www.picturesofengland.com/hotels/ to start your journey.

Bed & Breakfast and Holiday cottages are also available by clicking on the menu tabs top left of the page (green banner).

As you are travelling to Oxford; Blenheim Palace would be a nice day out!

Good luck and I'm sure you will get other area's of interest suggested by our great family of members.

But 25 people have looked at the post and said nothing, not even welcome to our new member! What's gone wrong?

Edited by: Ron Brind at:26th June 2011 20:37
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 22:42 on 26th June 2011

Welcome, Hartog Family.  A couple summers ago we drove from Dorset over to Cornwall and did Bath and Oxford as well.  My only advice (as a fellow tourist) would be not to try to see too much in one day.  The drive is absolutely beautiful and there are wonderful places in between all the typical tourist spots.  One more piece of advice - don't forget to drive on the left.  :-)

Enjoy your vacation.  I hope it's amazing.

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 16:14 on 27th June 2011

Welcome..The Hartog Family to POE ..Minehead is surrounded by beautiful countryside and coast, Cheddar Gorge is just over an hours drive away and you can sample Cheddar Cheese from the cave where it is left to mature.Exeter has museums, adventure parks and stately homes, depending on how much time you have, another place worth considering is Dartmouth 38.62kms from Exeter, and Drago Castle Dartmoor and be sure to travel on a Steam Train.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday and meet lots of lovely people

. Please take loads of photos and post them here on POE, we are a friendly bunch and would love to see how your holiday wentCool  

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:31 on 27th June 2011
GORHEMMYNNADOW AN GWELLA !!! To you the Hartog family  (that is a greeting in Cornish by the way, roughly says "greetings of the highest command) . I can say Cornwall is a great place to choose to visit, there is so much of a very diverse selection. You may choose to see typical tourist trap destinations but take time to see a number of special spots. Take in Dartmoor on your way through Devon and then onto Bodmin Moor. Try Minnions on the east of Bdmin Moor , As the sheep and cattle wander around the village you will be able to see stunning views, very old stone circles (called The Hurlers), an all around many of the remains of the Cornish Mining Heritage (now given World Heritage Status). Another hidden gem near Tintagel is St. Nectans Glen, it is a bit of a walk along the edge of a stream in a wooded valley but the double waterfall at the head of the Glen is something to behold and has a very spiritual feel.(see my pics of the glen in amongst the tintagel photos here on POE). Do check in advance as the last I heard it was changing ownership. Please make your way through Cornwall and take in all that it offers , sample the ice cream, local fish and of course PROPER CORNISH PASTIES. If you enjoyed the mining relics at Minnions take a look at Carnkie near Redruth (see my recent pics on POE) and/or visit King Edward Mine near Troon.Visit Land's End by all means but by far Lizard Point( Britain's most southerly point) is less tacky and stunning coastline. Sorry just a taster of Kernow(Cornwall in Cornish) ,look for what you enjoy and in Cornwall you will not be disappointed!!  Oll an Gwella.
 Please login to post to this thread...