Ilkley

in the county of West Yorkshire

Steam Rally

Evesham

in the county of Worcestershire

Hay-on-Wye Castle

Hay-on-Wye

in the county of Powys

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Clair from Missouri USA

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Clair Swan
Clair Swan
quotePosted at 22:25 on 7th December 2007
I am a retired Superintendent of Schools living in the state of Missouri.  I have been visiting this site for about a year to familiarize myself with all areas of England.  My wife and I intend to visit England in May 2008.  We will be driving around various area for about ten days.  We want to stay in bed and breakfasts in scenic towns.  My wife wants to visit the pottery factories in Stoke-on-Trent.  I am very interested in gardens, castles and cathedrals.  It is planned to visit the Cotswolds, Somerset, and Lincolnshire.  We would like to hear suggestions that will satisfy our interests and be made aware of pleasant B&Bs that cost about 50 pounds  total for one night.  After visiting Norway for a few days to make contact with family, we will return for 4 days in London before heading for home.  We would like to hear of B&Bs in/near central London that do not cost an "arm and leg" but are clean and convenient.  Help us plan this once-in-a-lifetime trip.  Thank you.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Chris Rennie
Chris Rennie
quotePosted at 16:40 on 14th December 2007

Hi Clair,

My wife and I were in England in the summer of 2006.  It was a fantastic trip.  We visited a very quaint town called Rye, down near Hastings and not far from Bodium Castle and Battle Abby.  Check it out here on pictures of england to get an idea.  It is really quite neat and not really well known.  You also have to stay in York for a day or two and see the town.  It is the second most popular tourist destination in England after London, of course.  Popular for a good reason too.  It is really historic with its origins dating back before Roman times and York Minster, one of the biggest cathedrals in England is spectacular.  It has also been heavily influenced by Vikings, so pulling in the Norway connection as well.  It is a must see location.  It is also not really that far from the Cotswolds, which you mentioned you will be visiting.  For both locations, see what you can find here on pictures of england in the way of lodging, and if nothing jumps out at you, I can recommend a place in Rye.  I stayed in a hotel in York because all the B&Bs were booked for a horse derby weekend.

We also enjoyed Nottingham, visiting Nottingham Castle, which is no longer a castle, but has great views of the town and very well kept grounds and a neat little walking tour of the underground passage ways under what was the original castle, etc.  We stayed in the Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel.(http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Nottinghamshire/Nottingham/Best_Western_Bestwood_Lodge_Hotel) It was really neat and had an excellent full hot/cold breakfast buffet! ;-)  It was a very reasonable cost as well.

Anyway, a few things to think about.  We saw so many cool places and buildings in England.  You'll enjoy the trip immensely.

Chris

Clair Swan
Clair Swan
quotePosted at 02:16 on 15th December 2007

Thanks Chris, 

there is so much to see.  Thankfully England is not as large as the US.  Your suggestions are really appreciated.  Is there anyone else out there that can help me?

Clair

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:37 on 10th March 2008
I agree Chris and Clair, if you can't find it on POE, then you won't find it at all! A great website that looks after it's members.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:43 on 10th March 2008
Oxford. If you have to visit one of the university towns, Oxford is the best  *Runs from all Cambridgeshire people throwing tomatoes  *
 Please login to post to this thread...