'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St. Michael's Mount

Marazion

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hello

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

nyyank
nyyank
quotePosted at 17:09 on 22nd January 2008
I am John from Yonkers NY.I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters during the late 60's.I went back last year,and needless to say,a lot has changed in Great Britian,Indeed I was sot of dismayed at how "Americanized" many sections have become.This is a really good site and I am glad to have found it.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Heavenly
Heavenly
quotePosted at 19:16 on 22nd January 2008

Hello John (and welcome to Pictures of England by the way!) Smile

I am intrigued by your comment of how "Americanized" GB has become.  Which areas did you visit and in what way do you think we have become Americanized?  Having never been to the states, I'm curious... Wink

nyyank
nyyank
quotePosted at 17:58 on 11th February 2008
In response to Heavenly's post of 22 Jan. allow me to apologize for the lateness of my reply.My wife and I took a trip across the "Pond" last Feb/Mar to visit our daughter who was studying in Dublin at the time.We spent a few(too few really) days in England,one day in London,and the rest between Ipswich and Cambridge.When I remarked that I sensed an "Americanization" of Britian,please keep in mind I was looking at it with'old eyes'.I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters in Suffolk,just outside of the city of Ipswich, from 1967 to 1970. I really loved the time I spent there and often looked back on that time as one of the truly happiest periods in life.My thoughts on how England had changed was due to my looking around for a Wimpy's or a pint of Tolly Cobbold,but found instead McDonalds and Budweiser.Add to that the proliferation of shopping malls,the expansive TV channels,American themed shops and parks,etc, and I  had a feeling that I should have made this trip years earlier.Mind you,I am not  criticizing,nor were my experiences  in any way  disheartening,but then again,those 'old eyes' were haunting me.All in all we had a truly great time,although I still wsh for the power to go back in time.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:51 on 10th March 2008
Shucks! Sure wouldn't say we were Americanized. Wow, awesome... ya'all must be crazy, oh man! (ha, ha, ha) only joking!
nyyank
nyyank
quotePosted at 14:42 on 10th March 2008

Ron,

Still miss England and plan to get back as soon as I can.If I hit the lottery I would bring back all of my old mates for a big reunion, you guys would'nt have to lock up your women this time.LOL. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:07 on 10th March 2008

By this time some might wish they COULD lock up their women John! I have to say not me though, still married after 42 years! (Could have got less time for robbing the mail train). Bless her, I love her lots really, even though she's ugly. I can still see her standing under the mistletoe at Christmas waiting for a kiss.....she was still there at Lent! Needless to say if my dear wife see's this I'm a dead man, see what trouble I could be in now John?

I hope you get your return trip. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:36 on 10th March 2008
Amazing! In less than 30 minutes this message has gone around the globe and come straight back to me. I have just received a message that says "Wait till I get home!! I have only one thing to say to you at the moment....Bobbit". Gulp! I can feel the pain already...thank you to whoever it was that grassed me up!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 17:22 on 10th March 2008

Is your wife American, Ron? *Looks at little scissor icon at bottom of page*

As an English woman through and through, who has lived in the states for almost 17 years, I have to agree that England has become a little Americanized, I mean where did the Marathon Bar go? It became an American Snickers. Still, the Americans haven't picked up on Marmite yet, that will always be truly English.

Oh, and welcome to the boards John. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:49 on 20th March 2008

Don't know why I didn't answer this Sue, must be to busy responding to all your other posts! No Anna is not American, local girl in fact (meaning Oxford area) and don't even think about the scissor thing!

The Marathon Bar? Still running!! Yes I like nickers, and Marmite well like the advertisement says, you either love it or you hate it. I love it! Somebody said in a post just recently, can't remember who it was, that they were having to pay some $30 or more!! Wow, we could do a roaring trade there you know!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:51 on 20th March 2008
Shucks Sue, I'm gonna sya it was a deliberate mistake! What? Well if you didn't see it, I aint gonna tell yer!