Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Largs Town, North Ayrshire, Scotland.

Largs

in the county of North Ayrshire

In the garden of Willy Lotts cottage

Flatford

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Mancunian in Oz

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Allan Rostron
Allan Rostron
quotePosted at 11:33 on 27th February 2009

I found this site while researching family and local history - not the easiest thing when you're on the other side of the planet from Manchester. I found lots of beautiful and evocative photos of the Manchester area here, so I thought I'd stick around. Not much chance of posting many new photos of England now we're living in Perth, Australia, but I can post some from olden times and the three visits I've made in the last couple of years. 

Just tried uploading a photo from my flickr page but can't work out how to do it with the little icon in the toolbar. Must read the instructions ...  

Allan 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 12:14 on 27th February 2009
Hi Allan! Welcome to POE (Pictures of England). Happy you could join us. Glad you like the pictures. There are a ton to go through. Hope you'll also join us in the forum threads as well. Smile
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 12:18 on 27th February 2009
Hi Allan!! Welcome to POE!Laughing
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 14:23 on 27th February 2009
Hi Allan, and welcome to the family! Smile
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:54 on 27th February 2009
hi allan, I'm sure Ron could help with your download problem. I'm from Lancashire also, by the way lol. Welcome from me
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 19:37 on 27th February 2009
Hello Allan and welcome - do you mean your avatar? It has to be a small file so reduce the size if it is.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:54 on 28th February 2009

Hi Allan from Anna and I and welcome to the very best website and forum on the net bar none! Let us know if you are still having problems, we will help you out where we can.

You are from Perth? We got back from Perth about six months ago, stayed at the Citigate Hotel. Couldn't believe how much building was going on there, all poured concrete. And Fremantle, well, its like something out of the American wild West! We stayed at the Esplanade hotel, very  nice but expensive!

Allan Rostron
Allan Rostron
quotePosted at 04:50 on 1st March 2009

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

I had trouble with the tree icon at the bottom of the Post box for uploading pictures. It brings up a box labelled 'Insert/edit image', with a space for a web address and an image ID. This has got me flummoxed as it does not offer the usual means of navigating to an image file. When I entered the URL of my flickr page (go to www.flickr.com/photos/arostron/ if you want to see some pics of Australia, as well as the UK), it took me straight to the flickr page but I could see no way of choosing a photo to upload to PoE. However, I've uploaded 5 photos via the "Submit pictures" link at the top of the page. 

Yes, we live in Perth (the Australian variety). There IS lots of building going on, but less than there was, times being what they are. We go to Freo quite often, but we've never penetrated the Esplanade hotel. This part of the world still has a pioneering air to it, with "releases" of virgin land for building; and the sand that blows around whenever the thin soil is disturbed reminds us that we're between a desert and an ocean.  

Allan

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 11:23 on 1st March 2009

Hi Allan, and welcome to the site!

Regarding the tree icon - You basically need to upload an image first via any of the 'Submit pictures' links (which you've already found), then once the image has been approved, you can post it in the forum using the little tree icon (insert/edit image), which is a tool simply for posting images into the forum which already reside on the PicturesOfEngland.com domain.

Allan Rostron
Allan Rostron
quotePosted at 13:04 on 1st March 2009

Ah, the penny drops!

Thanks!