Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Claythorpe Mill  Lincolnshire

Claythorpe

in the county of Lincolnshire

Galmpton Creek, Near Brixham, Devon

Galmpton

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Misplaced Anglophile

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 06:48 on 15th October 2009

I have indeed, Evey, and I made another post there.  Ron is a good guy, but he likes to stir the pot a little and sit back and wait for the flak.  Don't you, Ron?  lol

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 07:05 on 15th October 2009
Hastings
Picture by Fred in't Hout

Is that you Ron? LOL my dear friend x

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:57 on 15th October 2009
On 15th October 2009 05:46, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Wow, that's awsome honey, ma neighbor's sure color ma life...!! Lol

GREAT American accent, Ron.  You sure you're not from Texas....lol

Let me take a stab at translating it into British:

Crikey, that is absolutely cracking, my neighbours colour my life indeed!

Very good Ruth, I'm impressed! Lol
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:01 on 15th October 2009
On 15th October 2009 06:09, Evey Pinkham wrote:

Hi Ruth:

I can't believe my one little comment about Ron's changing the spelling of my entries would cause such a hubbub.  But i like your translation! Have you seen the "americanisms" forum? 

Evey 

Evey, that's what the forum is all about! Not getting too wound up, but certainly having your opinion aired. So, I liked your 'hubbub'. Huh, where did that word come from Evey, another foreign word? Lol
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:07 on 15th October 2009
On 15th October 2009 06:48, Ruth Gregory wrote:

I have indeed, Evey, and I made another post there.  Ron is a good guy, but he likes to stir the pot a little and sit back and wait for the flak.  Don't you, Ron?  lol

Ha, that's funny Ruth, but yes you have me weighed up I guess...thanks for your support girls anyway!! The surprise is that the other 'American' has not commented. I mean Sue H of course who hates being called American; always protesting her English Heritage, but as she is away on holiday and won't see this post I don't care!!!! Lol......... Na, na, nana, na Sue H...
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:12 on 15th October 2009
On 15th October 2009 07:05, Stephanie Jackson wrote:
Hastings
Picture by Fred in't Hout

Is that you Ron? LOL my dear friend x

Stephanie, I told Fred not to photograph me here, I just knew you lot would get to see it...Notice also, I have my initial on my hat 'B' for Brindybear. Lol
Evey Pinkham
Evey Pinkham
quotePosted at 16:44 on 15th October 2009

LOL, Ron.  Not an American word at all:

Main Entry: hub·bub
Pronunciation: \ˈhə-ˌbəb\
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps of Irish origin; akin to Scottish Gaelic ub ub, interjection of contempt
Date: 1555

1 : noise, uproar
2 : confusion, turmoil

By the way, etymology is also a fascination of mine.  Do you know where the expression "sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite" comes from?
Evey Pinkham
Evey Pinkham
quotePosted at 17:28 on 15th October 2009
By the way, Ron, i have a suggestion.  It would be nice if when you go to a forum, it opens up on the latest page/post, instead of the first page.  Just one small step for man ... oops, another Americanism ... one step easier for the user.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:34 on 15th October 2009

Oh what Evey, there's alway's one isn't there?

Etymology = the origin and historical development of a linguistic form. Shucks, I think I'm gonna take a walk up the apples 'n' pears, put on a dicky dirt and hope my almond rocks still fit, if you know what I mean?

I would think the phrase 'Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite' comes from an out of work Pest Control Officer hoping to make a killing next day (quite literally).

Anyway Evey, bottom line where did you nick the word Hubbub from?

Evey Pinkham
Evey Pinkham
quotePosted at 18:46 on 15th October 2009

do you mean from where did i get that definition or where did i learn it?  it's quite an old expression.  we yanks have used it for years .... at least THIS yank has.

"sleep tight ..." comes from back in the middle ages ... ENGLAND.  mattresses used to be made of straw, pulled tightly together.  the more tight, the firmer the mattress.  hence, "sleep tight" meant to pull the straw tightly, and of course, there were lots of bugs in the straw.  they became "bed bugs" by their presence in the straw mattress.  clever isn't it?

you probably know the one about "POSH", don't you?

and i believe you are walking up the stairs, putting on your shirt, and hope that your socks still fit.  right?  (wasn't sure about the last one)  ever see the old Cary Grant film "Mr. Lucky"?  he uses cockney rhyming slang in it while he is trying to avoid the bottle and stopper.  lol.