Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Escomb

Escomb

in the county of County Durham

Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire

Hoddesdon

in the county of Hertfordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

My first post....

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 12:09 on 25th January 2011

Hi from me Charlotte!

I found the web site a couple of years back whilst searching for some pics of England. I was surprised at the quality of some of the images that members had posted. Being a 'proud' englishman with 'middle-of the-road' views on life I soon got into 'chatting' with other like-minded people throughout the world (or 'POE-land' as we say lol) My interests are history and geography and I find POE gives me a light-hearted take on the subjects. I enjoy a simular style 'banter' with your Grandad and others  poking fun at ourselves and politics. I try never to argue about religion or politics, but like others I have my views, but I also respect the views of others. I HATE some social web-sites such as FB etc as all you get are foul-mouthed types, prying into each others lives plus all the 'downsides' such as crime and bullying that such sites attract. Its good to come onto POE and know that its so well run and rudeness not tolerated. Good luck on your project and thank your family for developing such a fantastic and friendly site. MIKE Smile

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 13:25 on 25th January 2011

hello from me charlotte,i think most of the things you want to know have already been said so excuse me if my input is brief.

i found this sit by chance a year ago and warmed to it straight away,you may find other sites available which i have done but none compare with the friendliness that this site offers,i also wish you well in your project and lots of good luck and success in the future.Smile

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 13:58 on 25th January 2011
Hello Charlotte, welcome ! I was told about this site from another, and when I frist came into this site, I took some time to review what it was about, what the people seemed to be like, and if it was something I would find interesting( thus determining how long I would spend with this group) and was pleasantly surprised at how warm, welcomimng, receptive to new people, encouraging to newbies etc etc....( and if I continue like this we will have to reccommend them for Sainthood...) but...they are a good lot and glad they are here.
That's my story & I'm stickin to it ! LOL
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:06 on 25th January 2011

Thanks to Dennis, Mike, James and Beth for your input also. I'm beginning to blush with all the nice things being said!

But you did ask the question Charlotte and the POE'rs are responding as I thought they might, which makes us very proud.

More input please?

Thanks again from Anna and Ron to everybody who has contributed thus far!

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 16:36 on 25th January 2011

Hello Charlotte.  First, let me wish you all the best with your Business Studies Coursework.  I hope it goes well for you. :-)

Only about 3 years ago I acquired an inexpensive digital camera, having never owned a decent camera before.  One day I googled "Pictures of Brixham" (where I live) hoping to find a few ideas of what I might photograph, and up came Pictures of England.  I was amazed at the variety and quality of so many of the photos, many of places I'd never even heard of, and I did get some ideas, which gave me the confidence to eventually post some of my own photos.

It took me a while to join the forums, but when I did the "regulars" were all welcoming, encouraging and fun, which is why POE is now the first site I visit and I'm really glad I found it!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:11 on 25th January 2011

Thanks Marjorie, your comments for Charlotte are appreciated.

Regards

Anna and Ron

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 20:25 on 25th January 2011

Charlotte:

I would have to echo many of the reasons already offered by other POE members who have responded to your post. I happened to find POE one day when I was searching for photos of English churches for some research that I was conducting. I, too, was quite amazed at not only the quantity of photos at this site, but also with the very high quality of so many of the photos. Since I travel to England regularly (and have been since 1970 when I was 18-years-old), I enjoy having a look at towns and attractions that I plan to visit.

But POE is much more than just a platform for lovely photos. It is a site that offers opportunities to both help and be helped, whether those opportunities take the form of travel tips and recommendations on the best places to visit in England, or to provide a community of support to POE members who are facing difficult situations such as loss of employment or loss of a loved one. It is also a place to air and respectfully argue political views, share recipes, offer birthday and anniversary wishes, exchange book and movie recommendations, engage in horrible puns, share reminiscences of bygone times and to generally socialize with people who share one major trait in common--an abiding love for England and things English.

As you can see, I have been a member quite a while, and though I don't post all that frequently, I do visit this site almost every day--it has become an integral part of my daily routine!

I do hope, Charlotte, that your GCSE Business studies are hugely successful! And I am sure that you are very proud of your grandparents and your aunt and uncle, who have worked hard to make POE the lively and vibrant website that it is!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:45 on 25th January 2011

Thank you Rob for taking the time to write here in the forum, as with other members. We appreciate it greatly, along with the wonderful words of support for POE whilst answering Charlotte's call for help with her GCSE Business Studies.

Sincere thanks to all thus far, but keep them coming please.

Anna and Ron

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 20:58 on 25th January 2011
Hi Charlotte, 

Why I use this site? Good question
For more then 30 years my wife and are frequently visiting England (and Scotland and Wales).
Each time I plan a new trip I try to find as much info as possible. That became more easy over the years using the internet. Surfing through the million pages on the net, one particular site always drawn my attention. Pictures Of England. It literally gives me a good picture what not to miss when visiting a new part of England. After a few years I joined the PicturesOfEngland.com community. In the beginning I only read the contributions on the forum. To shy to participate, afraid that my English would be total jibberish. Nowadays I join in when ever I can and thanks to Ron and James, my English is getting better and better, specialy the more unconventional conversations. Futher more I’ve met a lot of great people on the forum with the same warm interest in good old England.

So as answer to you questions
I use this site for 
gathering information about England
meet all kind of people from all over the world with a common interest.
to have a good laugh on the forum
to improve my English.

What do I enjoy about this site
All of the above

Succes with your studies and greetings from Holland
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:02 on 25th January 2011

Thank you Ted, appreciate your input for Charlotte.

Anna and Ron