Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

New Forest

Lyndhurst

in the county of Hampshire

Instow sunset

Instow

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Notes from an Anglophile in SA

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 16:01 on 22nd April 2011

Hello everyone,

My name is Syd Harling and, although I was born in SA I am as British as can be. My parents were both born in England. My father hails from Barrow-in-Furness and my mother, although from an old Yorkshire family, was born in Basingstoke in Hampshire.

Our son lives in London and has been there for about 12 years so we make a point of visiting the "old country" about every 2 years.

I really hope to retire to England some time soon.

If anyone has information about the Harlings or  Housbys from Barrow or the Haighs or Prices from Yorkshire I'll be glad to hear from them. I would really like to trace my family history.

Kind regards,

Syd 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 16:13 on 22nd April 2011

Hi Syd, a very warm welcome to POE. 

I think you are going to have to be far more specific about the information you are looking for your family history.  I have Haighs in my family from Yorkshire - but it is a VERY big county and there were many, many Haighs, for instance.  There are a number of free facilities on the internet that you can have a look at for tracing family such as the 1881 Census and FREEBMD/FREEREG etc.

As you will see I am also in South Africa and have done all my family history using the internet resources - it's amazing how much information is out there.

Thanks for adding pictures on the POE site as well, and please feel free to join in on any of the forums. Smile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:50 on 22nd April 2011
Hi Syd. Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. Enjoy the site and it's members, who really are a decent bunch of people that care about each other, as you will find out in due course.
Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 17:25 on 22nd April 2011

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I guess you're right Kathy, it is a bit vague especially as they left there about 90 years ago. Perhaps  I should rather try the sites you've mentioned, thanks for that.

I look forward to chatting with the members of POE some more. 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:48 on 22nd April 2011

If you would like to send me an e-mail Syd I can help you with some of the usable sites on the internet.  If you just click on my name or avatar on the left it will take you to "my pictures" - look for "Contact" in the headings and click on it.  You will be able to send a secure message to me.  Glad to help if I can.

Besides the fact that we both have Yorkshire ancestry and live in SA, LOL

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:58 on 22nd April 2011
Syd - was your mother's name Monica Haigh born in 1930?
Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 18:12 on 22nd April 2011
No, she was Doreen, born around 1919 in Basingstone soon after her parents moved there to find a warmer climate. Haha. They didn't wait too long before moving to SA
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 12:47 on 23rd April 2011
Hello Syd, Welcome to POE everyone here are very friendly and love a good chatCool , as for the sunny weather we are enjoying a very hot spring it's beautiful.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:01 on 23rd April 2011
Hello Syd, and welcome to the POE family. Good luck with your search!
Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 18:57 on 23rd April 2011
Thanks everyone. This is amazing. Here was I thinking I was joining a photographic site but it seems I've gained a "family"