Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Cathedral, Derby

Derby

in the county of Derbyshire

Tutbury, Staffordshire: Tutbury Church

Tutbury

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

an american in england

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Sparrow Demitriesse
Sparrow Demitriesse
quotePosted at 19:15 on 23rd June 2011

Hello!

My name is Laura.  I am 33, and former New Yorker now living in Los Angeles.  I am a musician and an aspiring writer. For money, I work in Television Production.  I am a serious Anglophile and I am planning a trip to the UK in August or September.  I have been to London and Canterbury and was completely charmed by the whole place and (Quel Suprise!) enjoyed it more than Paris or the South of France. Anyway, I have been dreaming of England ever since my last trip 4 years ago.  I would love to move there if only I didn't have to be an EU citizen to work there.  Anyway, I am planning a trip, I will spend a week in Scotland, a few days in the Cotwolds, a few days in London, and a few days in Bournemouth (where I have a friend) and anywhere else that sounds enticing. I plan to rent a car and would love to learn about beautiful and interesting places to go. Castles, literary and musical landmarks, places to enjoy music, and magical places are on the agenda.  I also intend to bring my guitar so please advise if there are open mics or bars where a person can play. Thanks so much in advance for any helpful hints!

All the Best, 

Laura Sparrow

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:22 on 23rd June 2011
Hi Laura and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. Sounds like you are going to have a great time, and most certainly be the envy of other anglophiles here in the forum, of which there are many.

quote | editPosted at 19:35 on 23rd June 2011
Hello Laura.  If you look at the list to the left you will see The Cotswolds.  Click on it for plenty of photos and ideas where to visit. There are sections for other counties and towns plus attractions, POE should be a great resource for your visit.  Sure the members could give advice on just about any part of England.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:44 on 23rd June 2011
Hi Laura and a warm welcome to POE (Pictures of England).  I really envy you the opportunity of visiting England in August/September which is usually a lovely time of year.
Sparrow Demitriesse
Sparrow Demitriesse
quotePosted at 20:51 on 23rd June 2011

Thanks so much Ron, Anna, Mick and Cathy for the warm welcome.  I look forward to seeing all of your lovely pictures and can't wait to see England in person again.  I look forward to chatting with you!

Laura

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:04 on 23rd June 2011
Hi Laura and welcome to POE. We're quite a happy freindly bunch and I'm you'll feel quite at home very quickly. If you get the chance to take a couple of days in the Lake District on your way down from Scotland I am sure you will not be dissapointed. My favourite part of this beautiful land. You will find a stunning array of photos on the site from every part of the country.
Sparrow Demitriesse
Sparrow Demitriesse
quotePosted at 23:41 on 23rd June 2011
I just looked an the Lake District photos. Gorgeous!  That first photo looks almost like Hawaii. Just beautiful.  The Lake District is definitely on the list! Cheers, Dave! :)
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:02 on 24th June 2011

Hi Laura.  Welcome to POE!  I'm sure you'll love it here.  Just over from the Lake District is the county of North Yorkshire.  Heaven!

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/North_Yorkshire/pictures

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:37 on 24th June 2011
As a Yorkshireman I cannot disagree with Ruth, but if I had to decide it would be The Lakes, but only by a whisker ! ! ! At the end of the day it's only 3-4 hours drive from my home so could always get back quickly if necessary.
Gonul
Gonul
quotePosted at 07:38 on 24th June 2011
Hi Laura,welcome to POE Smile
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >