Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A Canadian Anglophile

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Brenda Skinner
Brenda Skinner
quotePosted at 15:28 on 31st October 2011

Hello, forum members. I've just stumbled on picturesofengland.com this morning while looking for information about market towns in England. Lovely website, with many pages I'll want to explore in the future. My husband (a Brit) and I (Canadian by birth) live in Eastern Ontario and take as many trips to the UK as our budget permits. He emigrated as a young man, and I have wanted to live in England for most of my adult life. We have a four-month home exchange in the works for April 2012, and are looking forward very much to having a base on the edge of the Cotswolds. We have family and friends scattered all over the country, and I have genealogy research to do as my ancestors came from England, Ireland and Scotland.

I participate in a forum about the books of Derek Tangye and all things Cornwall (friendsofminack.org.uk), and have started a blog this year about my passion for and travels around the UK (ukloveaffair.blogspot.com).

My husband's retired, and I work freelance as a writer and editor so, with a portable job, the four-month home exchange is quite 'do-able.' 

I joined today because I have a mystery photo that I want to post to see if anyone can help me identify it. I know the year it was taken and I know the route we took on the day that I shot the photo, but I neglected to note the location. Argh! I'll upload that to the appropriate page and look forward to input from other members.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 15:50 on 31st October 2011

Hi Brenda and a very warm welcome our family. You find us a happy ansd entertaining bunch always up for a bit of banter and jollity. Feel free to join us n the forums where we have quite some amusing exchanges, and entertaining quick fire quiz type thing

you will be pleased to know we have our own Cornish expert and I'm sure he will delight in introducing himself to later. Several members are also very good on the genealogy front too.

look forward to seeing your photo in the hope we might be be able to help find the location for you.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:04 on 31st October 2011

Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron, Brenda. It seems you have 'stumbled' upon the very best website on the net bar none! I'll go have a look at your picture to approve it, but how do you know what the appropriate page is?

Lets see how we get on, some very clever people here in POE.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:11 on 31st October 2011
I have approved your picture to Devon, Brenda. Lets see what the members make of it, but good luck!
Andrew Marks
Andrew Marks
quotePosted at 16:49 on 31st October 2011

Welcome Brenda. Glad you found us and you just make sure you take billions of picturs when you are over. It will be so nice to see a Canadian slant on some of our more traditional sights!

Andy

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 17:54 on 31st October 2011
hello brenda ---welcome to the site and hope you can join in with the chat in the forums ---a great set of people i must say  ---enjoySmile
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 18:39 on 31st October 2011
Hi Brenda, a very warm welcome & I don't think you will regret finding POE
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 20:33 on 31st October 2011
Hello Brenda..Welcome to POE, enjoy the site and please join us in the forums
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:26 on 31st October 2011

Gorhemmynnadow an'gwel Brenda.

Welcome to POE and as the others have already said tis a great place to be, whether it be for the pictures, the information or the gathering of good friends you have stumbled into the right place. It is nice to come accross another so keen on Kernow, I have not found the website you mentioned so when I can drag myself away from POE I shall have to check it out. Once again welcome.  Chons da ha Oll an Gwella.

Edited by: Vince Hawthorn at:31st October 2011 22:34
Brenda Skinner
Brenda Skinner
quotePosted at 11:56 on 1st November 2011
Thanks, everyone. It's a pleasure to be here. We survived Hallowe'en last night (in fact, were curmudgeons and went out for dinner rather than dishing out candy) so now I can get on with the important business of familiarizing myself with POE. I am hoping one of you will have travelled those same B roads we did in 2003 and will know about my mystery sculptures. Vince...you'll have to translate if you're going to speak to me in the old language!