Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Approaching Rock, Cornwall, from the Padstow Ferry

Rock

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hello and a Happy New Year to you all from Vancouver, Canada.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 06:32 on 6th January 2012

Hi All,

I'm so glad that I found this site! I've just spent four very pleasant hours looking at your pictures of Devon. The images bring back fond memories of home and family. As well, I'm extremely impressed and not a little daunted by the quality of the photography.

A little about myself: My name is John Edgcumbe and I was born and raised in dear old Plymouth, Devon where a large part of my family still live. I emigrated to Canada in 1978 and have lived in the Vancouver area of British Columbia since then. There is no doubt that BC is an extremely beautiful part of the world. However, whenever I go home to the UK, I'm always reminded of one of my dad's favourite sayings - "I've been all around the world lad and the grass is still greenest in Devon". (Please make allowance for some regional bias on his (my) part - I'm sure other counties are quite green too!)  My father was a career Royal Navy man and he actually had been around the world, at least twice as far as I know, so I can be forgiven somewhat for literally taking him at his word.

On our last trip back home, my aging Canadian mum in law accompanied us and part of our holiday included a trip over to Brittany, France. The reason for the trip was so that mum could visit a little town called Bras P'art, this being the place from where her father emigrated to Canada at the turn of the last century. I have to say that Brittany is a delightful part of the world and we had a lovely time there. The medieval town of Dinan is absolutely stunning, I'm a bit of a history buff,  so I particularly enjoyed the experience.

All of that being said, we also took a boat trip on the River Dart from Totnes to Dartmouth and back. The weather that day was glorious and the scenery is without doubt some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and more to the point (given my previously stated bias) my mother in law later told me that the trip was the highlight of her holiday and that scenery was in her opinion, the most beautiful of the entire holiday.

OK, so by now you've all figured out that I'm an unashamed and unrepentant lover of UK in general and the South West of England in particular; although I haven't yet mentioned Cornwall and all of the happy times I spent in that fair land. The hour is getting late here so perhaps I'll save that for another day.

In conclusion, I look forward to joining your happy band and thanks for all of the wonderful images. If you happen to have any of the Plymouth and Rame peninsula areas I would love to see them.

Cheers,

John.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:08 on 6th January 2012
Hi John, WOW that is an interesting introduction. Welcome to POE. You will find a happy jolly crowd here ( one or two characters!!) so please feel free to join in the forums with us where we have good exchanges and enjoy a it of banter. Take a look and join in you will be more than welcome. Time differences play their part of course but you will soon get to understand us
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:16 on 6th January 2012

Hi John and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. As you already point out the images contained within the site are fabulous. As for the members, well a better bunch of people you will struggle to find anywhere on what really is the best website and forum on the net bar none!

Dave says there are one or two 'characters' trust me, he is one of them!

Another that you'll meet very soon goes by the name of 'Blue Eyes' although I have called him many different names. lol Wonder how long it will take you to work out who he is, but let me say he hides behind many famous faces!

Then we have the ladies, well what can I say (without starting a riot that is) who really are the life and soul of this family group, as you would expect of course.

Wait until you get to read Shirleys posts, you'll need a cup of coffee, poached eggs on toast and a fruit juice before you get to the end!

Enjoy the site John and join in when you can.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 09:19 on 6th January 2012

welcome to the site john theres plenty to go at on here so get stuck in.

there is always someone on line to share abit of banter with.Smile

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 17:13 on 6th January 2012
A very warm welcome to POE John...I am sure you will enjoy it here, for many reasons. Please join in the forums, we have games and puzzles and some very lively discussions, but all in good humour, and there is plenty of that!!!
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:50 on 7th January 2012
Hi there John, a warm welcome to POE.  Lots to do, lots to see, lots to read about, and lots of great fun people on the Forum.  Do join in whenever you can, you will be most welcome!Smile
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:30 on 7th January 2012
  Dydh Da John and welcome to POE , I have read your intro and look forward to your Cornish tales,although I am a fan of Cornwall I don't come from there( Surrey ) is what I have to call home. Your intro shows your passion for Britain and believe me you have arrived at the right place here on POE, the many many pictures speak for themselves and it seems you have made a good start ! Don't forget there is a wealth of info tucked away on the site and of course the jolly old forums, do join in with us you will be most welcome. Chons da ha oll an gwella, ( do excuse my lapses into greetinfs in Cornish ).
 Please login to post to this thread...