Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Largs Town, North Ayrshire, Scotland.

Largs

in the county of North Ayrshire

Weymouth Harbour at dusk

Weymouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Hello from Bendigo Victorla Australia

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

John O'malley
John O'malley
quotePosted at 14:55 on 23rd February 2012
Hi   To everyone my name is John O' Malley  I live in a town Called Bendigo which is about 160 KM from Melbourne in the state  of Victoria Australia ,. I found your wonderful site whilst searching the web for information to help me plan my trip to England in August / September 2012, I was born in England and my familey moved to Australia in 1957, I have never returned since i have now retired and it is now time to come back and see if I can find some of the many cousins that I have over there and have never met, I plan to spend 6 weeks in England, I will arrive in Manchester and spend at least a week in Widnes. Then move down to Nottingham For a few Days The rest of my stay I hope to spend touring Around, If any of the members of this site can may be help me orginize the best way to see as much of the country as possible I would be Most grateful regards John O'Malley  
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 15:55 on 23rd February 2012

Hi John and a very warm welcome to POE (Pictures of England), I'm glad you found us!

You can search the site, using the google search top left hand side, of any places you might have a preference for visiting - you will find lots of information and pictures.  Once you have chosen some of the "must see's you want to visit" the members can help you with further information.

Some of the most popular places to visit are The Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, The Cotswolds, London (of course!), Cornwall & Devon.  

Do you have special hobbies or interests which you want to accommodate, or love antiques, museums, etc. etc.  If you could narrow you list a little I am sure everyone would be willing to give you the finer details.

By the way, you can also book accommodation right here on POE once you know the areas you want to visit! 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 17:28 on 23rd February 2012

welcome john,hope you enjoy the site ---why widnes of all places.??

theres nowt wrong with widnes i have relations there --in fact i may be going next week.Smile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:17 on 23rd February 2012

Hi John and welcome to the POE family from Anna and Ron. As CathyML says above you can book your accommodation through POE and save a lot of money at the same time. Start by looking at http://www.picturesofengland.com/accommodation/ and if you don't see what you want go back to the green area top left of the page and start again. Every booking through POE helps to keep the website running!

Anyway, enjoy your planning and I say look in on the Cotswolds if you want beautiful scenery, Oxford for Architecture and London for the nightlife. The Lake District of course is a must see destination also.

Good Luck! 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:55 on 23rd February 2012
Hi there John and welcome to what is probably the best site around for all things England. You've possibly guessed by now that we are a friendly bunch. We enjoy a laff and a banter in the forums so do not hesitate to join in. As to your holiday if you have the chance a few days in the Lake District would be my recommendation. Base yourself in Ambleside as it is nicely central with plenty of great pubs and eating places. But as I say join in the forums you will soon catch on and be more than welcome. A few of us even have a drink together some evenings....all very sociable
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:10 on 23rd February 2012
 Hi to you John and welcome to POE, you have landed in the right place to organise your forthcoming trip and I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I don't know what part of the UK you were from but at one time I beleive Bendigo was once inhabited by a very high percentage of Cornish folk in their search for work in the mining industry. If you have any Cornish roots ( and even if you don't ) a trip over the River Tamar to Cornwall would be good. Whatever, in the meantime do enjoy looking around this great website for news and views of all the great places to see, and of course do join us here in the forums and get to know first hand a bit more about about this place called England. Welcome .
John O'malley
John O'malley
quotePosted at 14:28 on 25th February 2012
On 23rd February 2012 14:55, John O'Malley wrote:
Hi   To everyone my name is John O' Malley  I live in a town Called Bendigo which is about 160 KM from Melbourne in the state  of Victoria Australia ,. I found your wonderful site whilst searching the web for information to help me plan my trip to England in August / September 2012, I was born in England and my familey moved to Australia in 1957, I have never returned since i have now retired and it is now time to come back and see if I can find some of the many cousins that I have over there and have never met, I plan to spend 6 weeks in England, I will arrive in Manchester and spend at least a week in Widnes. Then move down to Nottingham For a few Days The rest of my stay I hope to spend touring Around, If any of the members of this site can may be help me orginize the best way to see as much of the country as possible I would be Most grateful regards John O'Malley  
Hello again Thank you for all for your warm welcome   James I am Going to Widnes to try and find as much imformation as I can about my Grandparents and my fathers siblings, I was born in Widnes and I have quite a few cousins there (all I have to do is find them) I will most probley be there for a week. My mother was from Nottingham and I hope to do the same there,both my parents have passed away and being myself and my 5 siblings were all very young when we moved to Australia we don't know much about that part of our family history. So I have put it on my Bucket list to try and find out what I can.                                                                                               Vince   From what I have read about the Cornish Folk who came to Bendigo they came for the Gold mining,I am sure there is a Cornish society still active in Bendigo. Gold mining is still going on in Bendigo and quite a few places close to Bendigo,The reason I came to live in Bendigo was to work in one of the gold mines which is still going as a working mine today,I am now retired.                                Since  I retired I have aquired a Canon Rebel T1i EOS 500D SLR digital camera and  4 different lens,I have not had time to really get to use them, but I will be bringing them all with me and I hope to get some really good photos of my holiday to bring back to show everyone  Thanks again   John                         
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:43 on 25th February 2012
Hi John, you won't be disappointed with the Canon 500. I use one, been a Canon man most of my photogrphic life, can't beat 'em.
 Please login to post to this thread...