'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Caister - The remains of the old Roman Camp

Caister-on-Sea

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Cavell

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Steve Cavell
Steve Cavell
quotePosted at 21:13 on 9th May 2012

Hello

I am Steve Cavell from Ontario, Canada. I found this site when a relative, Gordon Cerniglia, was looking for information about Gordon Alfred Cavell. We got some of that  sorted and now Gordon and I are in touch and he is also in touch with a cousin  who lives quite near to him.

Our branch of the Cavell family in Canada and the USA is pretty simple. But if we go back to my great grandfather, and Gordon's as well, it is not so clear.

His name was Alfred Cavell and he claimed to be from Ramsgate, Kent and there are conflicting dates of birth in 1869 and 1871. Some records show his middle name to be Lewis but he told my mother it was Stephen....He claimed to have come to Canada with an uncle when he was around 11 years old. He also claimed to be related to Edith Cavell and had a photo he said was her with him and some dogs...but that is well and good lost. He also claimed his mother was named Elizabeth.

We do know he had some trouble sorting out what was a fact and what may not have been accurate.  In Canada he settled in Magog in the Province of Quebec and worked as a cook and gardener. All of his children, except my grandfather, and his wife migrated to Schenectady, New York. My grandfather stayed in Magog and had one child who then went on to have four of us.

I will be in Ramsgate this October to poke around and hope to learn more.

Thanks for a great site.

Steve Cavell

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:34 on 9th May 2012

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to POE,

I guess one of our knowledgeable members Paul will be along soon and may well find something to aid you in your research.  Good luck with it!

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:46 on 9th May 2012
 Greetings Steve, welcome to POE. I see you have done well so far in your researches, I am none too good at family research but there are a few here who are brilliant. You will also find some super pics to see and good company in the forums. Enjoy your trip over here when the time comes and we will expect a few pics to see.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:01 on 10th May 2012
Welcome Steve, you havce certainly stumbled across probably the best site on the web for England and all things English. Thousands of stunning photos and plenty of freindly folk to try to help with any questions. Also a few forums for fun. Enjoy your time with us
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:29 on 10th May 2012
Welcome to POE from Anna and Ron, Steve. Enjoy what this great site and members has/have to offer.
 Please login to post to this thread...