Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

This is the Saxon Church in the village of Cockley Cley, Norfolk

Cockley Cley

in the county of Norfolk

Mount Cemetery in Guildford, taken in Spring 1999

Guildford

in the county of Surrey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Greetings from Maggy Shannon of Macon, Georgia

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Maggy Shannon
Maggy Shannon
quotePosted at 14:48 on 14th March 2018

Hello Dear Pictures of England Friends,

My name is Maggy Shannon and I live in Macon, Georgia.  

I have long enjoyed PicturesofEngland.com because many of the books I read are set in England.  I like being able to visualize the places I am reading about.  Mostly I enjoy reading biographies, but I also like mysteries and history.  I especially enjoyed the Duchess of Devonshire's memoir “Wait for Me!”, “The Suspicions of Mr Whicher” by Kate Summerscale, and the Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George.

I have finally joined the group because I want to do something nice for my friend and thought perhaps you all might be able to assist.  

My dear friend Mrs Haywood is a very homesick Englishwoman.  She is originally from Putney.  In 1939, her mother sent her to a boarding school in Sunningdale, Berkshire where she would be safe from the expected Nazi attacks on London.  The school was held in the former home of Count Gleichen, St Bruno's.  I have been hoping to find pictures of that building to show Mrs Haywood.  I have learned the building has been greatly changed since World War II and has been transformed into a group of flats.  I thought I had found a photograph of it, but Mrs Haywood didn’t recognize it.

Anyway, I am hoping very much that someone here might have some pictures of St Bruno's they would share or might be able to help me in my researches. 

I would be very glad to help any of you if I can.  You need only ask!

Sincerely,

Your friend Maggy Shannon 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dusty Royds
Dusty Royds
quotePosted at 22:09 on 1st April 2018
Dear Maggy Had a quick look on various web sites come up with these one`s may help in your reseach http://www.berkshirehistory.com/villages/sunningdale.html,  and this one     https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photos+of+st+bruno+flats+charters+road+sunningdale&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwib1tu-gZraAhUqKMAKHWjGA9QQ7AkIOw&biw=1301&bih=620#imgrc=_      as far as I can see its seems st bruno flats charters road Sunningdale, may well be the old school. the best of luck in your endevours.

Edited by: lewpatrick at:1st April 2018 22:26
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...