The Fools Nook public house.
© Patrick Hogan (view gallery)
Took this at the request of Cathy, the food is very good.
First opened in the late 1820’s as The Royal Oak during the building of the Macclesfield Canal. It was created from cottages already on the site. During this period navvies and engineers will have sought refreshment, along with the navigator of the canal Thomas Telford. A mooring known as Fools Nook wharf, was built opposite the pub to load onto barges stone that had been mined in the hills of the surrounding area. This stone was brought down to the wharf by traction engines and was weighed right outside the pub. With this continued popularity of the pub the original cottages which formed the pub were demolished around 1839 and the purpose built pub was built re-opening around 1841. In 1962 the Royal Oak was purchased by Higson’s Brewery of Liverpool. In the December of 1962 the name was changed to The Fools Nook Inn. Image cannot be loaded
A Slideshow of Oakgrove, in the county of Cheshire