Bix Manor, Bix
© Roger Sweet (view gallery)
the origins of which can be traced back to two Saxon settlements, Bixa Brand and Bixa Gibwin/Gibwyn. The origin of the name Bix is most likely to have been box shrub, a type of evergreen which grows in the parish. The Hamlet of 'modern' Bix is close to the location of Byxe/Bixa Gibwin/Gibwyn. There appears now to be little evidence of historic Bix and the hamlet comprises mainly up-market houses spread around three sides of an open grassed common and out along the roads to Lower and Middle Assendon. The 'new' parish church of St James was built in the centre of the village in 1875. Image cannot be loaded
The ruined old St. James' Church, Bix Bottom
© Roger Sweet (view gallery)
St. James' Church was originally a tiny Norman Church which was built on a Saxon site. Its arch is only slightly over a metre wide. The ruined old church remains as consecrated ground. A new church, also St. James' was built in the village in the 19th century. 
Image cannot be loaded
The Victorial water tank, Bix
© Roger Sweet (view gallery)
This is a brick-lined open water tank which was constructed c.1895. The tank was derelict for some sixty years becoming overgrown, broken up, lost to view and obviously serving no purpose. However, in 1998 it was spotted and investigated, and slowly its story was established and restoration of the tank began. Restoration was completed in 2002. The water is obtained using a hand pump and the most likely uses were for watering horses and as a refill water station for the steam engines as well as being the domestic water supply for the village. 
Image cannot be loaded
A Slideshow of Bix, in the county of Oxfordshire