Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Ely Cambridgeshire

Ely

a Historic City in the county of Cambridgeshire

Bournemouth Pier

Bournemouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

What is your weather like today

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 15:51 on 4th July 2008
On 4th July 2008 06:34, Lyn Greenaway wrote:

It's been lovely here, heavy rain forecast for wednesday and thursday but it never came! This morning it's blue skies, gentle breeze and pleasantly warm. Last Tuesday was the hottest day of the year so far so they say, 26deg WOW

Yes Ruth, what's a swamp cooler Sue?? Can only imagine it must be something like air condintioning?? Undecided

Hi Lyn:  Evaporative cooler.  It's mounted on the roof and has water pipes runnig up to it.  It wets these pads that look like straw and then has a fan that sucks the air in and cools it.  Unlike air conditioning you keep the windows open in the house to allow the air to circulate.  It uses a lot less electricity than refrigeration, but doesn't work at all when it's humid.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
Posted at 15:59 on 4th July 2008

Sorry Lyn, I didn't see your question.

Our swamp cooler is mounted on the side of the house as opposed to the roof, but still just as effective. Noisy though, so we turn it off at night and use oscillating (I love that word) fans.

chili5
chili5
Posted at 13:50 on 5th July 2008
On 1st July 2008 03:45, Sue H wrote:

They said on the news that there are over 1,000 fires burning in California. Too many to fight, so some are being left to burn away. I guess that's one good thing about tonight's wind, blowing California's smoke out of here for a while.

:( The fire's are so sad. I heard about them from a friend and it's so hard to live in parts of California. Today it's a nice day out, I haven't checked the temperature yet but it's probably in the low 20's today.  Nice day for a picnic :)
L
L
Posted at 19:47 on 5th July 2008

Thanks Ruth and Sue, I've learnt something new AGAIN today! Shall I say it?? ummmm .....thats the pwer of POE! (It's catching LOL)

The weather today has been quite good here, not that warm really, and a bit on the windy side with a couple of showers, a bit like we expect in mid summer LOL

Sue H
Sue H
Posted at 21:00 on 5th July 2008

We are still in the 90's, gearing up for the 100's next week.

Hubby and I took his sister to the big town today to catch a flight. Left at 2:45 AM, drove two and a half hours there, dropped her off and drove the two and a half hours back. On the way home the smoke was so bad we couldn't even see the mountains that are about a mile from the road. I can't imagine how much worse it is to actually be there in California.

chili5
chili5
Posted at 23:14 on 5th July 2008
I have two friends that live in California and they said that it's really hard to live there. The air quality is so bad, it's hard to breathe outside.
L
L
Posted at 15:53 on 6th July 2008
Raining here off and on today, been a little windy too but made for a really exciting F1 !!! LOL
chili5
chili5
Posted at 16:23 on 6th July 2008
Really sunny today again but not going out today that I know of
Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
Posted at 16:28 on 6th July 2008
Awful thats what it is and all
Ruth Gregory