Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

So calm

Watendlath

in the county of Cumbria

Norwich Cathedral

Norwich

a Historic City in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

New Member IRELAND surname Help!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Beth Ireland
Beth Ireland
quotePosted at 08:45 on 6th June 2008
Hello everyone here I am so excited most of my genealogy roots are comming to England although Im in the USA and have never been there it is so beautiful from the pictures. I really do not know the first thing about finding and confirming my roots from there can anyone help? My husband did the DNA reseach and his connection takes us back to the western shores of England. I recently took a look at the pictures of HaleVillage and saw that there was an IRELAND knighted by James I in Warrington, Cheshire. Does anyone know anything more about him and his family. Ours start in USA William Ireland (b. 1627)and Abigale Greenland Dorchester also Boston Massachusetts and Cambridge are where some of there children are born it says he came from a distant land.....His son Abraham b. 1672 Boston to Abigail Durrant USA  so by DNA testing we found the distant land to be England. I have seen your pictures here of the bridge street plaque where Ireland was knighted. Ive seen pictures of Hale Hall and Halevillage I see Hibernia Ireland Maps so far I have seen John De Irelande or John Ireland and Thomas Ireland the knight but no familly History. Also found a John Ireland dean of Westminister 1831 and also a seal of John Ireland or a coin knight but no Genealogy of them can I find what do I do?  My other surnames are  Henry Adams (Presidents Lines 2)Churche or Church, Hyde,Edwards, Sherwood, Warren, Holland and knight Edward Sprague buried at Westminister Abbey.Squire, Webb, Stowers, Stone,Parr, Harvey, Earl Edmund Fitzgerald, Davis, Baker.Smith, Wilcox,Straight. That is what I can see for now off hand on my chart.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
SarahPremier Member - Click for more info
Sarah
quotePosted at 16:17 on 6th June 2008

Hi Beth

Sorry I can't help with your search, but I would like to extend a warm welcome to POE Smile

Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 17:43 on 6th June 2008

Hi Beth

I can't help either, but you never know.  Someone might come up with something.

Karen

L
L
quotePosted at 21:55 on 6th June 2008
Ooooops here's another 'sorry I cant help either', but welcome to this mad forum anyway Beth lol
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 22:44 on 6th June 2008
Welcome to the site and forum Beth. Another sorry, I cant help either. But I bet there will be someone that, if they cant help, will know someone or somewhere that can. Good luck in your search.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 02:02 on 7th June 2008
Hi Beth:  Wow, that's quite a geneaology you have going there.  Yes, it's very difficult when your roots dead end on this side of the world and you have to start searching elsewhere.  Have you looked in Ireland?  Sorry, I too, can not offer any help, but I noticed a couple of clues, like John de Ireland.  That could possibly be a descendent of someone fom the Norman days, the days of Strongbow (not the cider).  Also Hibernia. They have pretty good baptismal records in Ireland, although I don't know how far back they go.  And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't one of Henry the eighth's wives a Parr?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:09 on 7th June 2008
Welcome to POE Beth, I think Ruth's suggestion might be a good place to start (or continue). Anyway, enjoy the very best website and forum on the net, and good luck with your search! Don't forget to submit some pics of Ireland when you get there, as you inevitably will one day!!
Jo Adams
Jo Adams
quotePosted at 17:47 on 7th June 2008
Welcome Beth and good luck in your search.  Genealogy research can have you going around in circles!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:41 on 8th June 2008

Hi Beth, and welcome also. In the areas you're looking at, one of the first places i'd look at is our National Archives records in Kew, West London. their searchable site is here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/.

Also on Google, search National Archives  Documentsonline.  If any Wills appear to be from these people, they often lead to the other people mentioned in them and such like.If any relevance, our catherdrals can hold records going back centuries, such as Salisbury Cathedral who's marriage records go back to the 1500s, though the government started keeping track of those from 1837 onwards. Our Census's records run from 1840 to 1901 at the moment .Hope this helps.

Essentially, though, I'd start at the National Archives to see what's there.

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:47 on 8th June 2008
To save you the trouble Beth, here's the Documents Online site from the National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/. In the search boxes on both sites, I'd start by putting those surnames in.
1 2 3 4 5 Next >