Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hoghton Tower, Lancashire

Hoghton

in the county of Lancashire

A picture of Todmorden

Todmorden

in the county of West Yorkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Visiting the Isle of Skye

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 08:40 on 1st February 2010
I haven't been to Skye for more than forty years, but one thing I'm certain of is that the midges still bite. We plan to visit in August so any tips for avoiding midge bites would be very welcome. I would also like to hear of any "not to be missed" venues.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:27 on 1st February 2010
Seems to me you'll be spoilt for choice of places to see. Some might include Egol, the Old Man of Storr, and the Quiraing. I think dawn and sunset is when you're going to get the nicest photos----and maybe the midges are in bed at those times too ??? Smile
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 16:54 on 1st February 2010

Midges are the worst--in the U.S. we call them no-see-ems. Awful critters! We had run-in with some particularly blood-thirsty midges while in the Torridon Highlands in the west of Scotland in July 1976. I had just parked our car in a lay-by to look at the scenery. I had already walked away from the car as Shirley was getting out of the passenger side. She had the car keys and had set them down on her seat for a moment when she was suddenly swarmed by a cloud of midges, which caused her to involuntarily slam the car door shut.

Unfortunately, both doors of the car were locked with our keys sitting on the passenger seat! For those of you who have not traveled in the West Highlands of Scotland, the Torridons in particular are very remote and the traffic is sparse. So there we were, locked out of our car in the middle of nowhere, laughing hysterically and doing our best to avoid the midges. As we were pondering our situation over the next hour, a lorry, the only vehicle we had yet seen, stopped and the driver, who I'm sure must have had experience in the car-jacking trade, had our door open in about ten seconds. What an experience!

Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 21:36 on 1st February 2010
On 1st February 2010 13:27, Paul Hilton wrote:
Seems to me you'll be spoilt for choice of places to see. Some might include Egol, the Old Man of Storr, and the Quiraing. I think dawn and sunset is when you're going to get the nicest photos----and maybe the midges are in bed at those times too ??? Smile

I Understand that the midges are most active at dawn and dusk so I might come home looking like a bad case of measles.
Someone told me today that midges dont like the smell of Dettol and that I should mix it 50/50 with Johnsons Baby Oil and apply it liberally to all expose parts. It might work but I dont think it will help my social life,
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:59 on 2nd February 2010

Do they have Avon Skin So Soft products in England, Sally? If they do, that might be a little more pleasant.  I don't know if it would work on midges, but it sure keeps mosqitoes away.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 05:04 on 2nd February 2010
On 1st February 2010 16:54, Rob Faleer wrote:

Midges are the worst--in the U.S. we call them no-see-ems. Awful critters! We had run-in with some particularly blood-thirsty midges while in the Torridon Highlands in the west of Scotland in July 1976. I had just parked our car in a lay-by to look at the scenery. I had already walked away from the car as Shirley was getting out of the passenger side. She had the car keys and had set them down on her seat for a moment when she was suddenly swarmed by a cloud of midges, which caused her to involuntarily slam the car door shut.

Unfortunately, both doors of the car were locked with our keys sitting on the passenger seat! For those of you who have not traveled in the West Highlands of Scotland, the Torridons in particular are very remote and the traffic is sparse. So there we were, locked out of our car in the middle of nowhere, laughing hysterically and doing our best to avoid the midges. As we were pondering our situation over the next hour, a lorry, the only vehicle we had yet seen, stopped and the driver, who I'm sure must have had experience in the car-jacking trade, had our door open in about ten seconds. What an experience!

Those are the moments you just don't forget, do you Rob.  lol

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 10:16 on 2nd February 2010
Amen to that, Ruth! All in all, it was a really fun day. At least I'm thankful that the inevitable West Highland rain held off until after we got back into the car and were on our merry way!
 Please login to post to this thread...