'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your favourite places in England.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next >

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 13:33 on 5th November 2007

Please list your favourite places in England.
(edit: this thread developed quickly into favourite 'places' rather than 'things', so have changed original post to suit)

Here are some of mine:

The Lake District for its spectacular scenery - See pics
The New Forest for its enchanting beauty of ancient twisting trees, open heath, and wandering animals owned by the 'commoners'. - See pics
The Cotswolds for its gorgeous countryside, quaint little villages and picture perfect cottages.

A favourite town is the historic market town of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, which has lots of medieval buildings, medieval alleyways, and a fantastic Norman abbey. The best time to visit Tewkesbury is in July when they hold the annual re-enactment of The Battle of Tewkesbury.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Brian Arlow
Brian Arlow
quotePosted at 16:05 on 6th November 2007

1 My Favourite place in England has to be the Lake District i have visited there many times the scenery is the best i have seen in any country.you have it all the lakes mountains villages isolated farms and great places to stay there is so much to photograph you wiil need plenty of memory cards

2  I would list my favourite places as 1 the lakes. 2 north yorkshire. 3 new forest

3 Englnad has it all the 4 seasons terrific scenery lovely villages great pubs and a very dramatic coastline ,then we have the norfolk broads and there is so much history here you could go on forever 
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 17:29 on 6th November 2007

I have two favourite places in England, Wales and Cornwall.

Cornwall for the rugged coast and Wales for the mountains. There are also many historic places to visit in both places, from the bronze age mines to the castles. Old villages in the country and on the coasts.

You dont need to go abroad for the scenery when we have such beautifull veiws here on our own doorstep. 

Heavenly
Heavenly
quotePosted at 18:44 on 6th November 2007

The New Forest is one of my favourite places, the sheer natural beauty, wildlife and serenity of it all will never cease to amaze me.  Other favourites include Weymouth - a lovely seaside town I spent many happy family holidays at as a child - thanks Mum & Dad!  Burford in Oxfordshire, very picturesque and particularly pretty at christmas time when the lights and christmas trees decorate the town.  My list could go on, there really are so many lovely places in this country and I feel very lucky to live here - thanks England!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:41 on 6th November 2007
My favourite place in England would be Godstow Nunnery on Trout Island, near Wolvercote, Oxford. Built on Trout Island in 1133 and consecrated in 1179 by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the presence of King Henry II, it can be seen from the River Thames, although you will only be able to see what remains of the Nunnery, the ruins! But in what is probably one of the most amusing (well maybe a little bit sad then) of all Oxford ghost stories, it is said that Henry II was in love with a Nun who was living at Godstow Nunnery. Her name was Rosamund the Fair. It is also said that Henry II had a secret garden where he kept his concubine protected by a labyrinth of walls and tunnels, and guarded at all times by his trusted Knights, any one of whom was instructed to hold the end of a silver thread leading to Rosamund; thus Henry II would merely follow the thread to the lady, who to this day, is said to haunt the nearby Trout Inn at Godstow!      But needless to say that when the Queen found out about Rosamund the Fair with whom her husband was so deeply in love, she was insanely jealous, and decided to take what she considered to be appropriate action. The Queen is said to have first killed the Knight on duty and then followed the thread, whereupon Rosamund the Fair was forced to drink from a poisoned chalice.     As for the Trout Inn at Godstow, well Rosamund the Fair is apparently seen as a shadowy figure and often creeping around the awnings. Wow, spooky eh? Restaurants and public houses often use ‘awnings’ to cover an outdoor area for dining, parties, or a reception by the river for example, so perhaps you won’t want to sit outside for lunch or drinks after all! In any event a great day out, and a great meal!  
Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 19:50 on 6th November 2007
One of my favourite places is actually The Isle of Man, with the rolling hills,at times covered in heather, the many 'Coves' and Glens,you cannot travell far without catching a glimpse of the sea between the hills, the tiny white washed thatched cottages, the myth's and legands of the Island folk, the steam and electric railways, the close knit community, and the law and order  in force., it is like stepping back in time, I have had five holidays  in the beautiful Ellin Vannin (Isle of Man)
Jan Van Os
Jan Van Os
quotePosted at 22:07 on 6th November 2007
I hope to be able to say that my favourite place in England is the South Downs, when I come back from there next spring.
The stunning scenery near Eastbourne gives me the feeling that the rest of the Downs must be spectacular.
Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 14:13 on 7th November 2007
This is a difficult question to answer for me as there are so many places that I love in England. I think though that I would have to say that Norfolk, and in particular the Norfolk Broads are one of my favourite places. I live in Great Yarmouth which means that I am able to visit the broads often. I also have to mention Devon and Cornwall which are my favourite holiday destinations. The coast of Devon and Cornwall are particularly beautiful and of course Dartmoor is also a great place to visit and a complete contrast to the coast.
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 16:49 on 7th November 2007

I feel much as ian, i find it difficult to pick just a few, as I love many many areas, and all have different good points, but I suppose if i had to pick i'd say,

1. Lake district, its just such a fantastic place, gets a little busy, but it has breathtaking scenery. I like it near castlerigg, surrounded by Blencathra, Skiddaw, the Hellvellyn range. I really need to visit with my new camera.

2. Lynmouth, Lynton, really any of the North Devon coast. Its stunning.

3. Doward, a place i've only just really discovered, its near Symonds Yat, and its a lovely place, magical forests and great views over the river.

Janice Edwards
Janice Edwards
quotePosted at 19:25 on 8th November 2007
My favourite placein England has to be Saltfleet on the Lincolnshire coast. IAt first sight it might not seem as glamorous as some of the better known places but for me it holds so many memories of childhood holidays(my grandparents lived there and at South Somercotes). It is a wild and desolate place and it fills me with a sense of peace to go there. When I returned a few years ago after a break of 30 years it was like coming back to something I didnt know i'd missed! If anyone has any memories of the coastguard watchtower that was there until the 70's I would love to know especially if you have a picture of it.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next >