'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Upper Bridge Street Chester - August 2009

Chester

a Historic City in the county of Cheshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your favourite places in England.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Mary Quintois
Mary Quintois
quotePosted at 02:04 on 3rd January 2008
Thanks Ron, my Mom has traced our ancestors all the way back to Hilton Castle.  My mother's maiden name is Helton, which we found out was the old name before it became Hilton.  MarySmile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Mary Quintois
Mary Quintois
quotePosted at 03:29 on 4th January 2008
Sorry...Hilton Castle is spelled "Hylton" in county Durham. Mary

quote | editPosted at 23:26 on 7th February 2008
One of my favourite places is the Lake District which I visited a few years ago....glorious. The other is Hadrian's Wall....we visited Steel Rig and stood there in the heavy silence and though I am not given to fancy flights it was quite magical.....I felt the reach across the centuries....a thriving, bustling, violent and noisy frontier of the Roman Empire stood silent and alone......it is something I will never forget.
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:56 on 8th February 2008

Well I have too many favourites that's for sure, anywhere with winding country roads, green grass, trees, ancient church, thatched cottage, friendly people.

Having moved from England's green pastures to Nevada's barren desert has given me an appreciation for the English (British) countryside that cannot be denied.

When I visit I walk the paths of my home county, Oxfordshire. But I also visit and LOVE Wiltshire, it's winding roads one car width, quaint villages (Castle Combe where I spent a wonderful honeymoon and subsequent visits with my husband).

And when I can't be in England (eleven months of the year)I come here.

Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 11:36 on 11th February 2008
My preference has to be the peopless expancess of our national parks. The silennce at night, the views are awesome. Every night i laid on my back outside my tent and watched the universe unfold. No light polution, everything within arms reach.
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 18:48 on 11th February 2008
On 21st November 2007 05:24, Lawrence Davis wrote:

My Great Grandparents on both sides came out to Australia in the 1800's, including my G.G.Grandfather who was exported to Tasmania as a convict for stealing Mrs Worthingtons goose. So whenever I get a chance to go to the UK for a holiday, the one thing I look forward to, is feeling / smelling / and standing on British soil. Because to me, I am returning home, even though I am a 4th generation Australian.

I am now doing my homework for my 4th trip back, so if I have to name a favourite above everything, then I would put anywhere in Yorkshire... ( especially York ).   Next I would put Herefordshire, especially Ludlow.   And then there is Wales and Scotland. But they are another story.

England, I miss you. Cry

Laurence that is exactly how I feel!

My GGG grandfather was convicted for stealing 2 whethers (male sheep) and sentenced to hang which was commuted to transportation to Tasmania, in 1826. On the other side my GG grandparents came out here during the gold rush and when they didn't make any money they then pioneered an area to the east of Melbourne. Part of the original farm is still in the family today.....but England is home.

To date my fave places are both in Hampshire, the tiny hamlet of Itchen Stoke and the town of New Alresford.

Roses
Roses
quotePosted at 15:34 on 9th March 2008
i really loved Dorset as well as the Lindisfarne area.
Lawrence Davis
Lawrence Davis
quotePosted at 21:12 on 9th March 2008
On 11th February 2008 18:48, Jen Strath wrote:
On 21st November 2007 05:24, Lawrence Davis wrote:

My Great Grandparents on both sides came out to Australia in the 1800's, including my G.G.Grandfather who was exported to Tasmania as a convict for stealing Mrs Worthingtons goose. So whenever I get a chance to go to the UK for a holiday, the one thing I look forward to, is feeling / smelling / and standing on British soil. Because to me, I am returning home, even though I am a 4th generation Australian.

I am now doing my homework for my 4th trip back, so if I have to name a favourite above everything, then I would put anywhere in Yorkshire... ( especially York ).   Next I would put Herefordshire, especially Ludlow.   And then there is Wales and Scotland. But they are another story.

England, I miss you. Cry

Laurence that is exactly how I feel!

My GGG grandfather was convicted for stealing 2 whethers (male sheep) and sentenced to hang which was commuted to transportation to Tasmania, in 1826. On the other side my GG grandparents came out here during the gold rush and when they didn't make any money they then pioneered an area to the east of Melbourne. Part of the original farm is still in the family today.....but England is home.

To date my fave places are both in Hampshire, the tiny hamlet of Itchen Stoke and the town of New Alresford.

Hi Gen...

Just a quick reply to let you know about my other G.Grandparents. They came out from Enfield & Edmonton in 1866 after working at the Arms Factory.  They left on the maiden voyage of the "Netherby", and were shipwrecked on King Island in Bass Strait. After being picked up, they made their way to the goldfields and ended up some years later at Tatura in Victoria   with 7 children in tow, where they opened up a saw mill.

Don't you love our history.  I have completed 7 different lines of my ancestors, with one going back to 1044 AD in Normandy.

I also love this website, but don't get a chance to visit very often. Here is my website that I sell my images on. I hope you enjoy them... Lawrence ( Larry)  http://www.redbubble.com/people/cullodenmist

Laura Mcdaniel
Laura Mcdaniel
quotePosted at 18:21 on 12th March 2008

Well, I don't know my all four of my grandparents, my parents were both (half) adopted. I guess I'm fully English, but whatever, the UK is definatly home. My favourite places are:

> Berkshire

> London

> Derby

Is anyone here from Reading or even Woodley ??

Laura Innocent

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:08 on 12th March 2008
Oxford Laura, about 25 miles away I suppose. I have driven through Woodley and Reading many times over the years, a really beautiful area (well Woodley is) not so sure about Reading! I must say that Reading has improved over the last 10 years or so, but it needed to didn't it? At least you have a football club there! Overall, I think Berkshire is a nice place in which to live.