'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bridgend looking towards Garw valley

Bridgend

in the county of Bridgend

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Are the British Heavy Drinkers?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Robert Mitchell
Robert Mitchell
quotePosted at 21:09 on 31st December 2007
On 30th December 2007 17:58, Douglas Bregger wrote:

(Checking out my window)  No heavy drinking going on in my back yard!

Shifting blaime doesn't negate the basic point I'm making.  You can look at your own magazines and newspapers to confirm it.

It's a good thing that we in the UK take everything written in the 'press' with a pinch of salt. Otherwise they would have us believing that the majority of Americans are grossly overweight through pigging out on burgers all day.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 16:50 on 1st January 2008
On 3rd December 2007 02:34, Douglas Bregger wrote:

First off, let me assure all of you that I mean no offence with this post. I love England, and have had thoughts of living there.

Hovever, I've gotten the impression that the British drink pretty heavily, and getting drunk--"pissed," as they'd say!--is a big preoccupation for many of them. And I'd like to have your opinions on this.

Considering what you said in your first post (Above) you do seem rather keen to keep pushing this point even though several of us have stated that this is a media obsession rather than a general rule. The same is true I'm sure of the typical USA stereotypes that are often portrayed, as Jason has already stated. Fortunately most Brits don't believe a fraction of what fills the "News" papers and neither should you Douglas.Wink

Happy New Year.
Douglas Bregger
Douglas Bregger
quotePosted at 00:15 on 2nd January 2008

Honestly, I didn't want to start a flame war with this subject!  But I've made some of you think about it, and I guess that's a good thing.

And as I've said about, I love your country, and would like to live there, if I could.

Andrea Slough-kubsch
Andrea Slough-kubsch
quotePosted at 07:33 on 13th January 2008
Honestly!  You'll have to excuse Douglas.  I know a lot of Americans can be and are a bit brash, but if you come to the south, Texas especially you'll find less of that.  Douglas, shame on you.  It's like you're saying to a woman "gosh I'd love to date you, but I think you're fat, do you think your fat?  I really think you're fat but I like you and would like to date you."
Sharon A. Farmer
Sharon A. Farmer
quotePosted at 22:34 on 17th January 2008

haha...<Americans are grossly overweight through pigging out on burgers all day>  I'd say that many are, and it's a shame we let ourselves make poor dietary decisions.

I see a lot of alcohol problems in the USA...and almost any other country.  I do not drink alcohol, period.  I've never seen anything positive about it.  I don't have to worry about myself...just the other guy.

The only place I remember seeing many drinkers was Newcastle upon Tyne.  As a side note, I was astonished to see the girls there in tank tops in February! I was wearing a coat :-)

Milla Engel
Milla Engel
quotePosted at 00:34 on 18th January 2008

I doubt that Douglas Bregger wanted to offend anybody.  It's pretty sad but he is right - drinking is a serious problem.  It's not about the English only - seems to be Universal.  My opinion - it's all about money.  Cheap wines, we're encouraged to buy more for less.  Even champagne is affordable and is common to drink it often but I remember the summer of 1995 when I ordered champagne at the restaurant in London and the eye brows were raised - the only bottle was found in the manager's fridge.  (I'm not keen on wines and never try unknown ones). 

Drinking is a disaster in England (especially in London) and TV advertises it:and encourages although they do not mean it: Richard and Judy - a good intention but it's too late nobody is sampling wines anymore but guzzling. Chefs with wine glasses  as if we always sip wine with meals and etc.  And kids watch all this and think it's fine.  And can't wait to start  doing the same.

It's too sad to feel offended. Something should be done to save the nation.Embarassed

The truth - is not everybody can endure a couple of glasses on an empty stomach (which normally happens). There is a culture of drinking and the English have never been heavy drinkers  

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:45 on 22nd March 2008

Douglush ish rite, we shometimes ffall about at brekshust and can't even sshay Arshenal proppa!

Hi Douglas and fellow members

Please excuse my little bit of fun there, but you know its not all bad here. Yes we like a drink, but some people as suggested by Milla can't handle it, and I guess they are the few that get noticed!

Whilst writing in this thread, a big welcome to Sharon Farmer!! Somehow you slipped the net for the members welcome Sharon. Well, that is if I'm not mistaken, or too drunk to find you elsewhere that is, so WELCOME SHARON!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 13:59 on 22nd March 2008

Hello Douglas. You need to toddle on over to this little rural mining town I live in, where bars out number churches but not brothels. Since living here, we have had a traditional wild west shoot out, and no, it wasn't a performance to lure vacationers. Nobody in their right mind goes down town at night here, unless they want to 'join in the fun???'.

So I would say that American's could match the English for drunkenness.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 14:12 on 22nd March 2008

I'm not a heavy drinker, I only weigh 8st 8 lb. losing it in my old age. Weight that is, before some smart a--  jumps in with thier size nines, lol

There are a few bing drinkers, usualy confined to the nightclub areas. But they are definately in the minority. You wouldnt catch me in those places chasing after young, underdressed women. My wife would kill me.

L
L
quotePosted at 15:46 on 22nd March 2008

Hi Douglas and Sharon welcome!

Heavy dinkers??? Does that include tea and coffee cos thats all I drink lol Haven't touched aclohol in years. (Do I get a Blur Peter badge for that?)

Peter......you remind me of that fella in Vicar of Dibley, he was Trigger in Only Fools & Horses lol, dont ask me why i dont have a clue why though!