'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Mary's Chuch, East Bergholt, Suffolk

East Bergholt

in the county of Suffolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Are the British Heavy Drinkers?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:27 on 23rd March 2008
Not here in Oxford either, well not much! Wonder if we can get the media to hype up the POE forum? They would have a Wales of a time with Peter. Sandy time with Sue, Lovely time with Lyn and ME? Well theres nothing really that Ron says or does to make anybody want to extract the runny stuff, is there? 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 22:22 on 23rd March 2008
On 23rd March 2008 15:11, Ron Brind wrote:
Everyone to their own opinion Jen, right or wrong!

Informed opinion is one thing...biased thought posed as opinion based on a newspaper article is another. And what about the German's or Norweigians, or Swedes or American's or Aussies????? All these countries have alcohol problems amongst their younger people...but this isn't evidenced in the article 'cos it would mean they couldn't sensationalise it as Britain are a nation of drunks. The reality is that it's actually a world wide phenomena not localised to Britain as that article purports and from which Douglas is saying he's opinion is validated.....sorry the anthropologist in me is sneaking out Wink

Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 08:40 on 8th May 2008
Hi Douglas, I think you've stirred up a hornets' nest here!! It's a very fair question I think, and I can understand why you ask the question. Beer is a big part of the English culture, just as wine is in France and Spain, vodka in Russia and that blooming awful Budweiser and Becks in the USA. The reason the press make a big deal out of boozing here is because (in my humble opinion) they've nothing better to write about. News stories on the whole are pretty boring...sensationalised news stories are much more interesting, whether they're true or not. It's so easy to generalise, which is what the papers in particular do, but in reality a lot of what the 'papers' say is far from the truth. Yes, you might find a lot of alcohol flowing on a Friday night in most if not all of the cities and towns in the UK, but a lot of it is consumed by responsible people, usually with a meal and friends........because drinking is part of our social scene here. Don't believe everything you read in the papers Douglas, in fact, if you're anything like me, don't believe ANYTHING you read in them (Apart from the broadsheets perhaps).
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:19 on 8th May 2008
Absolutely agree with every word there Andy!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:43 on 27th May 2010

Just spotted this thread again. Where are you Andy Edwards, your fun and games with the POE members has been greatly missed.

Oh, by the way we 'Brits' really do like a drink, don't we James?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 16:00 on 27th May 2010

we certainly do ron,mind you i dont have as much now due to a couple of reasons mostly due to the cost i dont believe in paying top price for a pint most taste as though they have washed the dog in it.

i enjoy a scotch about 3 times a week everything is ok in moderation.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:53 on 28th May 2010

Would that be a 'Cocker Spaniel' James? Lol

Because it taste's like.... is that it?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:38 on 28th May 2010
just bad ale ron,anyway i always tell em if its bad or short measure.Smile
David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 19:45 on 14th July 2010
Is it possibly the lines from the kegs?  For that reason, here in the US, I'd rather drink from the bottle than from a tapped keg.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:51 on 14th July 2010
sometimes it is david but most times it is the landlords neglect so i intend to stay away from places like that,  re/drinking from bottles --a lot of pubs wont let you drink it out of the bottle they insist on a glass.