Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hunstanton, Norfolk

Hunstanton

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Fight the fuel tax rip-off!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 12:57 on 12th March 2008

I love the reasons that are given for the increases. I can understand the increase by the oil supplying countries, but, how can they justify road repairs. I thought that the road tax was for that. Most of the other reasons also come under taxes not petrol cost. I can rember when petrol cost 2 shillings a gallon, tobaco was 1s6p. Tobaco is now £3.09. So, why more tax on petrol than tobaco?

I am now regestered disabled and live on disability living allowance. I need the car to get arround, although I do not pay road tax, that is free for me. I may end up having to go by bus, which is not really an option as I have to carry all my meds, and  a nebulizer and oxygen cylender.

Thanks for starting this Ron. I dont want sympathy, just to be able to get arround and do the things that help to make life a little better.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:23 on 12th March 2008

Peter

I understand entirely what you are saying, indeed what you are going through, but just where do we go from here with this rotten Government? They had the benefit of the 'good years' after the Tories and still managed to stuff things up. I say bring on David Cameron like yesterday, if it were possible. We shall talk again Peter, take care.

Ian Gedge
Ian Gedge
quotePosted at 16:06 on 12th March 2008
On 29th February 2008 14:08, Dennis Bailey wrote:
Increase the tax to such a level so that people can only afford to run small engined motors is the way to go. Increase the petrol tax even higher gets my vote every time. Modern small engined motors have been refined enough to supply the performance that almost everyone needs. Anyone who goes out to buy a 1600cc + gas guzzler should be treated with total and extreme contempt, the same contempt that they are showing me.

Anyone brave enough on POE to own up to owning a gas guzzler?Wink

( I don't own one myself, I hasten to add).
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:35 on 12th March 2008

Hi Ian

Not me thats for sure, but I like the challenge to POE members! Mind you I happen to think Dennis is wrong because it would just push up costs elsewhere, for all of us!  

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 16:39 on 12th March 2008
No gas guzzler (sounds like an American expression to me) for our family, we have a Toyota Prius, which is a hybrid. It averages 42 miles to the gallon (American).
Dennis Bailey
Dennis Bailey
quotePosted at 23:41 on 12th March 2008
On 12th March 2008 16:39, Sue Herrera wrote:
No gas guzzler (sounds like an American expression to me) for our family, we have a Toyota Prius, which is a hybrid. It averages 42 miles to the gallon (American).

Please cuddle your Toyota Prius for me, my arms can't reach.
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 00:59 on 13th March 2008
I love big cars, but dowsized to a 1.6ltr. Its great, because I can go a lot further for a lot less money. I can now drive from Essex to Mid Cornwall on half a tank, Hooray. My old 3ltr v6 took three tanks of juice, It did 12 to the gallon arround town , and 22 on the motorway.
L
L
quotePosted at 22:26 on 18th March 2008

I've got a Rover 1.6ltr so not guilty having a gas guzzler here.

WELCOME (If i type it enough times i may do it right!LOL)

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:47 on 19th March 2008

Lyn

Any chance of letting us have the colour etc because Bedford is not far from Oxford as you know, and it might allow us a bit more time to get out of your way! Are women drivers really better than men? Yes I said really BETTER! Thinks....that'll fool her!

L
L
quotePosted at 21:00 on 19th March 2008

OOhhhhh like that is it Ron lol  would you like me to post a photo of it so you in no way mistake me for someone else?? I've still got all my NCB and have NEVER had an accident (hand on heart!) in all the almost 40 years of driving....beat that lol Oh and by the way, its a gorgeous purple/blue metalic finish in case you still want to avoid me Wink ..............I await your response lol